Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Connect

Default Switching items.

So I'm sort of new to Munchkin. I've played some and I really love the game. It's so much fun!

But back to my question.

When you are wearing an item. Not in your backpack, but you are wearing it, and you get a new, better, bigger item, and you want to use it instead, does the item you were wearing before get discarded or do you get it back in your backpack?

Thank you in advance.

-Connect
Connect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Switching items.

'Backpack' is not a game term defined in the rules and the word is used for many different meanings by different people, so my response will ignore that term.

The rules say you are allowed to carry any number of small Items (small Items being Items that aren't marked as Big). Carrying is defined as being played in front of you on the table. Of your carried Items, you are allowed to use one piece of Headgear, one piece of Armor, one pair of Footgear and up to two Hands worth of Items that need Hands.

You indicate the Items you aren't using by turning them sideways while leaving those you are using upright. In that manner, you could have many pieces of Headgear on the table, but only one of them can be in use (a.k.a. worn) at a time.

The rules also say you can switch your Items between being used or not being used at any time except while you are in combat. Thus, you can change which piece of Headgear you are using, provided you aren't fighting or helping someone fight a monster.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

To expand on one point implied but not stated in Clipper's response: you never discard unless a card or a rule tells you to. If you choose to stop using an Item, turn it sideways and leave it on the table.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Connect

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it!
Connect is offline   Reply With Quote