Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-10-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
Reaver

Default "Medieval" fantasy with tech 2?

Out of boredom I read the low tech book. I noticed that a lot of things are available early on (I was particularly surprised about long bows and crossbows, I thought they were tech 3). Now I wonder if you could create a medieval fantasy setting while limiting yourself to tech 2. Most of it seems to be there, except for the obvious stuff like plate armor. Or am I missing something?
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Phil Masters

Default Re: "Medieval" fantasy with tech 2?

The difference between those TLs is ... real but subtle, and plate armour aside, mostly ends up involving non-combat stuff. So if you don't mind not having knights in shining armour - which might even reduce the combat advantage for very rich characters (or to put it another way, save dedicated fighters from having to drop a lot of points in wealth) - and are aiming to focus more on the sticking-swords-in-monsters stuff than on the feudal economics stuff, TL2 would probably be fine. Frankly, a lot of Conanesque fantasy is probably more TL2 than TL3.

Of course, you'd be even less justified in letting TL4 stuff like clocks, telescopes, or big galleons slip in, if your players would worry about that.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Reaver

What non-combat stuff?
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
What non-combat stuff?
Well, take a quick look at the list of technologies in Low-Tech (p. 6). At TL 2, it suggests common developments are "Riding horses and mounted herdsmen; concrete; large glass objects; arches, vaults, and domes; early water mills; theoretical mathematics; humoral medicine. ... Multiethnic empires; founding of universal religions; philosophy; historical scholarship; coinage.", while at TL 3, you've got "Three-field rotation; moldboard plow; heavy horses; flying buttress; windmills and widely used water mills; distillation; compasses; numerals with zero... Universal religions; monasticism."

So, your TL 2 setting might lack some stuff people associate with the medieval period, even if only unconsciously: the moldboard plow, for example, is generally considered to have allowed the heavier soils in Northern Europe to be effectively tilled for intensive agriculture. So if you're earlier than that, regions that we think of as major medieval centers, like England, Germany, and northern France, will be much less important and heavily settled. Or consider distillation! Without that, everybody, from peasants to the nobility, will be drinking beer, wine, and mead, but not whiskey, brandy, vodka, etc.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 12-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Phil Masters

Quote:
What non-combat stuff?
Well, the thing that first occurs to me is a significant improvement in agricultural technology. Which matters a lot to historians, and to the peasants and landowners living there -- but adventurers are often the sort of people who want to get as far away from farming as possible. And shipbuilding technology improved a lot, but not in ways that make a huge difference to adventurers -- though the feel of travel by round ship will be a bit different to travelling by longship, and strictly speaking you may be able to get further, more safely.

You do get some significant advances in architecture. So if you want proper medieval castles, or soaring cathedrals, you really have to go to TL3. But you can have perfectly good solid walls at TL2.

Which is just a start. TL3 does also give you a wider selection of weapons, I should note, but the basic sharp things to poke in the other guy go right back to TL1 or 0.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Remember TL2 is more in common with the "Classical" era than with "Medieval" era
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
What non-combat stuff?
It can be generalized as Starting Wealth. That's $750 instead of $1000. Making every non-combat thing you encounter only 75% as big or that much lower in quality would go a long way,
Old 12-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
thrash

Quote:
Now I wonder if you could create a medieval fantasy setting while limiting yourself to tech 2.
Sounds like RuneQuest and Glorantha to me.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrash View Post
Sounds like RuneQuest and Glorantha to me.
Or a Romano-British Arthur game.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #10
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Of course, you'd be even less justified in letting TL4 stuff like clocks, telescopes, or big galleons slip in, if your players would worry about that.
Instead they get to see galleys... Horses will be smaller too, so lighter cavalry and/or chariots, rather than heavy horses with big guys with lances mounted on them.

Oh, and bronze plate will be a thing.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote