Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 07-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
sir-talen

Default I was hoping for this

When I first heard about the stretch goal of an Ogre video game adaptation, my first assumption is that it would be a relatively cheap quick and dirty remake of the original Apple game. I'm happy to be proved wrong with evidence that it's going to incorporate GEV and presumably Shockwave as well.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: I was hoping for this

EDIT: No, that was a silly question.

I am really looking forward to playing this! It looks great.

Last edited by ColBosch; 07-20-2017 at 07:22 PM.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I wonder if this is just a general placeholder for all things Ogre Video Game-related or if there's a more specific purpose. talking about how to use it? bug/enhancement questions? something else?
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #4
AurochJake

Hi folks :)

My name's Jake and I'm the Community Manager at Auroch Digital, the developers of the video game adaptation of Ogre!

I just wanted to say hello and let you guys know that development on the project is progressing fantastically. Myself and Auroch Digital producer Peter (who is on here as XeroXeroXero) will be in here as often as possible answering any questions or feedback you may have about the game.

We can't wait to reveal more about our adaptation, so look out for announcements very soon!

If there is anything you need, be sure to let myself or Peter know.

AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
XeroXeroXero

A big hello from me too!

Just to quickly answer a few of the questions straight off the bat;

Our game is definitely much more than a simple port of the (excellent) '86 release. I can't wait to show you more of the game in the near future, but if you'd like a sneak peek then this post has some screens taken from a little while back in development.

And yes, this forum is specifically for this digital adaptation of Ogre. This specific thread is a space to ask early initial questions you might have, but we have bigger plans down the line...

Thanks!
XeroXeroXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Brilliant! Be careful what you wish for... ;-)

I love the early looks at this, but it makes me wonder if there will be other themes for the maps available. For example, the current G1 that's displayed has a bit of a drab feeling to it (I get the sense it's suffering from the same "not finished because we are testing" the units have); is that the only color you are planning on, or will we be able to re-skin the maps ("classic" 1970s line art, 80s bright colors, custom)?

What are the minimum system requirements to play the game (comfortably)?

Will there be a minimalist straight boardgame view for those with limited hardware?

Any further talks on a Mac/Linux port?

You mentioned this specific thread as a place for questions, but are you talking about the sub-thread as a whole for new topics to be started? I assume that's the intention, otherwise this specific one "I was hoping for this" is going to get pretty crowded. Maybe if you wanted to organize a bit with a handful of "Official" Topics to guide folks, that would be helpful?

Feel free to hack up this post and move questions to topics as appropriate :-)

This can't come soon enough; thanks for taking this on. :-)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir-talen View Post
When I first heard about the stretch goal of an Ogre video game adaptation, my first assumption is that it would be a relatively cheap quick and dirty remake of the original Apple game. I'm happy to be proved wrong with evidence that it's going to incorporate GEV and presumably Shockwave as well.
From what I've seen it looks pretty rockin' :)

Warning, I'm about to wax nostalgic here. I remember the late seventies and the eighties, and the gaming boom in scifi war games, war sims and rpgs for fantasy, scifi and other genres just exploded during those days. I remember Ogre, GEV and battlesuit were part of that, and always figured that all those games from the 80s would see ports in the late 80s or sometime in the 90s.

I guess I missed out on the original OGRE computer game, but I'm glad to be alive to witness a real cool looking version of the game with 3d accelerated graphics coming down the pipe. Just seeing those screens makes me feel like a pre-teen all over again.

Will there be sound effects and music?

Will Ogres be able to submerge in water?

Thanks for the game.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Questions

These are related to how the maps work and how they can be shared..

Community Sharing - Will there be a facility to share setups? In particular, will it be possible to import/export scenario setups? It would be really nice to be able to download fan-made scenario setups (customs overlay maps, etc) so you don't have to manually recreate the setups yourself.

Map Tiling - How big can you make maps? One assumes all the scenarios from at least ODE would be available, so that would require being able to combine maps to make larger maps (eg, combine G1 and S1). Another aspect of this is being able to use half maps. The ODE maps are split in half into North and South sections and it's possible to combine the North half of one with the South half of another to make a single "full-sized" map (eg, G1North with S1South).

Scenario Specific Rules overrides - With the various collections of scenarios out there, a number of them have special rules that aren't official. For example, units being able to move into hexes they would normally not be able. Are movement rules (in particular) going to be hard-fixed, or will it be possible to override and make an invalid move? In general, at least for multiplayer human online play, there should be a way to override rules to allow for flexibility. This would obviously be a lot harder for AI players.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I guess I missed out on the original OGRE computer game, but I'm glad to be alive to witness a real cool looking version of the game with 3d accelerated graphics coming down the pipe. Just seeing those screens makes me feel like a pre-teen all over again.
You can see the original computer game on youtube
Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #10
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Ah yes, 286 days, when only "fancy" computers had color graphics, unless you had an apple hooked up to your TV or a Commodore. Heh, here's a suggestion, include the old version with the new :)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote