Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Worldbuilding] Divergent, retro and other 'not of this world' Computers and Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
We still don't know how to make tiny gears and cams.
We're making real progress on that. Making the parts is fairly easy with mask-and-etch techniques derives from integrated circuit fabrication. I get the impression that assembling them into large systems may be harder.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Worldbuilding] Divergent, retro and other 'not of this world' Computers and Soft

Mathseer

A Mathseer is an analogue of computers for a magical setting of some sort. It is an enchanted device that, as the name implies, precognitive in the mathematical field. Here's how it works:

The operator sits behind a mathseer and visualises a mathematical problem that needs solving. The problem can be extremely complex, taking centuries to solve; however, the operator must be capable of solving it, even if it would require an abacus and enormous amounts of ink and paper.

As the operator visualises the first steps of a solution, the mathseer forges a temporary bond with the operator's spirit. Through this link, it provides insights into the answers to the next step. There is a positive feedback loop, and the longer the operator works on a problem, the further into the future the mathseer can look, and the faster it can provide the next step - even many times faster than normal people can think.

Game mechanically, a mathseer gives its use Intuitive Mathematician, as well as a limited form of Enhanced Time Sense that can only be used for interfacing purposes.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
It's also worth noting that vacuum tubes don't need to be tall - it's the width that matters. So you can miniaturize vacuum tube computers quite a bit. 1mm tall slices, but 1cm wide and 0.5-1cm long. Can make for practical vacuum tube mainframes in a few cubic meters.

And vacuum tube computers can be analogue, digital, or composite!
Don't vacuum tubes burn out and need to be replaced?

I had an idea some time ago, for one of the tech paradigms in my space opera setting, to involve boards of miniaturized vacuum tubes (each a bit smaller than rice grains) that are externally mounted on the computer, e.g. a hacker's cyberdeck, and maybe with a little built-in fault tolerance so that if any one single tube burns out, the board still works fine (each computer or deck has many such boards, from several to hundreds), and if 2-4 tubes burn out that board still works but at increasingly reduced efficiency. Indicator LEDs turn on to indicate the severity of need for replacement, and someone them manually has to watch and replace as needed, e.g. the hacker's assistent.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Don't vacuum tubes burn out and need to be replaced?
Yes, but this mostly happens at power-on. Powering off and on is hard on electronics in general, but the effect is much larger for vacuum tubes. They also use a lot more power, mostly for the heaters that allow them to work, and these two things together make portable equipment hard.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Yes, but this mostly happens at power-on. Powering off and on is hard on electronics in general, but the effect is much larger for vacuum tubes. They also use a lot more power, mostly for the heaters that allow them to work, and these two things together make portable equipment hard.
Powering off and on in what sense, exactly?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Powering off and on in what sense, exactly?
The "turn the power supply off so the machine is not operating" sense, either because "we are not using it overnight" or for a drastic reset.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #17
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
The "turn the power supply off so the machine is not operating" sense, either because "we are not using it overnight" or for a drastic reset.
Okay, thanks. I just wasn't sure if it was that, or if it was when electric current was sent into each individual tube.

So my scheme with urgent real-time replacement of micro-tubes isn't legit? (Not that that matters a lot - in my space opera setting, sentient computers usually insist that people speak Latin to them, instead of normal languages like Anglish, because "Latin is a precise langauge with a simple and structured grammar." I've been told that's not legit, but I'm inclined to go with it anyway.)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #18
Spudzill

Howzabout a Crystal Computer. It looks like an old vacuum tube d Eniac but instead of tubes they are quartz crystals and they absorb the psychic energy of ambient psi's. they then can create psionic programs used for a variety of effects.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
So my scheme with urgent real-time replacement of micro-tubes isn't legit?
You seemed to be talking about having built-in redundancy, so that single failures could be tolerated? The problem is heat. A computer that has redundancy to handle such things contains more than twice as many components, so there's more to go wrong, and you're generating more heat. Heat is always bad for the life of a machine, especially one that's soldered together.

You say this is "space opera", but really, it is more "science fantasy". Try being less specific, it creates fewer disbelief-triggers.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
You seemed to be talking about having built-in redundancy, so that single failures could be tolerated? The problem is heat. A computer that has redundancy to handle such things contains more than twice as many components, so there's more to go wrong, and you're generating more heat. Heat is always bad for the life of a machine, especially one that's soldered together.

You say this is "space opera", but really, it is more "science fantasy". Try being less specific, it creates fewer disbelief-triggers.
Speaking of which, I think I'll eventually come up with several types of mnemocrystals. Some would be like electronics in this sense, others would require subzero temperature (but wouldn't overheat on their own as much), and the third would require high temperature for functioning (but wouldn't suffer from overheating). Though I think adding even more types is best.

Tags
computers, divergent technology, retrotech, sci-fi, science fiction, worldbuilding