Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #1
Not

Default Roll a 4

Suppose my adjusted skill level is 3 and I roll a 4. Is that a critical success or a failure? Basic seems to suggest both.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Diomedes

Default Re: Roll a 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
Suppose my adjusted skill level is 3 and I roll a 4. Is that a critical success or a failure? Basic seems to suggest both.
Three and four are always critical successes, even when your adjusted skill is only three.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Gollum

In other terms, your effective skill is so low that if you succeed (about 2% chance), it's only due to an amazing stroke of luck.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
In other terms, your effective skill is so low that if you succeed (about 2% chance), it's only due to an amazing stroke of luck.
Yeah... at effective Skill 3, you're almost at the point where it is so hopeless, GURPS doesn't even allow you to roll! You're also at the point where you're going to fail about 95% of the time, but critically fail a little over 15%.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #5
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Yeah... at effective Skill 3, you're almost at the point where it is so hopeless, GURPS doesn't even allow you to roll! You're also at the point where you're going to fail about 95% of the time, but critically fail a little over 15%.
Actually it's roughly 98 and 25% since a 13 is a crit fail. FYI, needing a 5 is the point where you crit fail more than you succeed.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
AlexanderHowl

I do not allow a roll if there is no chance of a normal success (if you have an effective skill of 4 or less, you are out of luck). I only make an exception for defense/resistance rolls (for example, a Dodge roll or a HT roll to resist poison/disease).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote