Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #61
bert

Default Re: GURPS Discworld - Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
(I'd actually forgotten that happened.)
A side effect of the long wait from writing to publishing? In any case, I think the book is fantastic. It is good on its own merit and also a great showcase for gurps, as a system.

And I just can't believe that first edition discworld was publishes in 1998. Time flies! (No, I never got the first one)
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #62
GM Joe

Plus, it's a massive tome. I'm not surprised Phil doesn't have every word memorized at this point. :)
Old 01-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #63
Phil Masters

By the way, as readers of the Daily Illuminator will be aware, the company have started posting preview snippets from the book to the Web site. Introduction and Bibliography so far.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:34 PM   #64
johndallman
Night Watchman

Having read half-way so far, and finished all the rules material, I'd like to congratulate Phil on creating the best short version of GURPS ever. The explanation of the rules is developed masterfully, handling many of the frequently-confused points without giving the reader a chance to go astray. This structure is very worth re-using for future boxed sets and all-in-one games.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #65
DreadDomain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Oh, yeah, that. (I'd actually forgotten that happened.) Changed for simplicity and consistency, and okay'd by the line editor because this is powered by GURPS and he doesn't find it objectionable.
What is the scale beyond 20?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Having read half-way so far, and finished all the rules material, I'd like to congratulate Phil on creating the best short version of GURPS ever. The explanation of the rules is developed masterfully, handling many of the frequently-confused points without giving the reader a chance to go astray. This structure is very worth re-using for future boxed sets and all-in-one games.
I am intrigued by this. I have unfortunately no interest in Discworld novels but all in one GURPS game are of interest so I will end up buying it when I come across it.

Could you broadly explained how the rules were tailored? Are they based on GURPS Lite? Hoe many pages do they take? Do they flow in the book like any other RPG would or are they included at the back end like they were in Transhuman Space?
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #66
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Agreed, as I said in my review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadDomain View Post

Could you broadly explained how the rules were tailored? Are they based on GURPS Lite? Hoe many pages do they take? Do they flow in the book like any other RPG would or are they included at the back end like they were in Transhuman Space?
They flow within the book as its written like a traditional RPG in that it includes a setting and the rules all mixed together.
Things that dont fit the setting are left out and not only does that leave off a lot of traits it makes explanations of many skills easier.
Skills are organized into type groupings such as social which makes it much easier for people to avoid missing a key skill for a character concept and easier for all to find it. A lot of people in my experience are not used ot using an index (I think because most are not nearly as comprehensive as GURPS indexes usually are).

If you already know GURPS this book is unlikely to help you learn it better. But for a newcomer to GURPS this is much less intimidating than the Basic Set.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #67
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
).

If you already know GURPS this book is unlikely to help you learn it better. But for a newcomer to GURPS this is much less intimidating than the Basic Set.
IMHO it shows how GURPS despite its name is a rules set much better presented for one setting.

Looking forward to the same treatment in DFRPG.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #68
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
IMHO it shows how GURPS despite its name is a rules set much better presented for one setting.

Looking forward to the same treatment in DFRPG.
I have to agree though that is not a fault of GURPS or its authors.
Writing rules for everything is much harder than rules for a specific setting.
So many things have to be included to cover edge cases and various possibilities in a a system set for all settings and genres as opposed to a specific one.
As for DFRPG since Discworld was written well before it I too hope a lot of the ideas from here were included. There are so many seemingly minor things in how content is presented that make a major difference overall.
Also the humor makes it much easier to read and is an appreciated nod to the old days of GURPS.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #69
Phil Masters

Quote:
What is the scale beyond 20?
Basically, +1d thrust for every 8 levels of ST, +1d sw for every 4 levels. Indefinitely. Being thumped by a hill-sized trolls is meant to hurt.

Quote:
Are they based on GURPS Lite?
"Based on" is a slippery concept. I started with the Lite manuscript. There wasn't much of it visible by the time I'd finished.

Quote:
Also the humor makes it much easier to read and is an appreciated nod to the old days of GURPS.
Many street mimes died to bring you that combat system.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #70
lachimba

Quote:
I have to agree though that is not a fault of GURPS or its authors.
Yes, I think it's actually the growth area for GURPS books rather than more books with more rules that I need to remember in my head because I couldn't possibly have all these books open in front of me (even electronically).

DF ismostly just a worked example of existing rules, but one that requires other books.

Discworld is mostly trimmed and customised rules plus a worked example of magic.

DFRPG will be something similar.

There's nothing in them that a 'good' GURPS GM couldn't do with 100+ hours of prep (except for the art, and physical props in DFRPG box).
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discworld