Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
Libertine

Default Re: Why can't claws and teeth have an armor divisor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
Wolverine's claws are switchable strikers. There's a formula in Powers that allows you to add enhancements to natural attacks by converting it to an innate attack and then finding the point cost of the enhancements based there on.

Kromm already confirmed in a previous forum that wolverines claws are in fact, claws. I was inquiring about the justification of not allowing claws to have an armor divisor. If I was to use claws with an armor divisor, it would be at 33 pts. Perhaps the best way to simulate this then would be standard claws and an excessive amount of striking ST one attack only. But does that cover both claws, or will there be an extra modifier?
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Kromm already confirmed in a previous forum that wolverines claws are in fact, claws. I was inquiring about the justification of not allowing claws to have an armor divisor. If I was to use claws with an armor divisor, it would be at 33 pts. Perhaps the best way to simulate this then would be standard claws and an excessive amount of striking ST one attack only. But does that cover both claws, or will there be an extra modifier?
No need to pay extra to cover both hands, aside from buying Ambidextrous.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Was this an oversight in B1? It is listed that only Innate Attacks and Afflictions can have this enhancement.
You had to wait for Powers for that to work out. You just use the rules for Enhancing ST Based Damage.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
You had to wait for Powers for that to work out. You just use the rules for Enhancing ST Based Damage.
Which I said on the first page but people ignore it and insist on innate attack :(
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Which I said on the first page but people ignore it and insist on innate attack :(
My own build for Wolverine (yes, I'm doing one; no, he won't be in the X-Men or Avengers) will likely have Claws (Talons) (Armor Divisor (100); Switchable; Linked) and Enhanced ST-Based Damage (Armor Divisor (100); Switchable; Linked). This way his bare punches don't get the armor divisor, but his claws do.

About the only substances he won't be able to cut through are adamantium itself, the adamantium/vibranium alloy of Cap's shield (once I re-stat the shield); and maybe Asgardian uru (Thor's hammer). All three are likely to have enough levels of Hardened to resist the claws.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
malloyd

Quote:
Kromm already confirmed in a previous forum that wolverines claws are in fact, claws. I was inquiring about the justification of not allowing claws to have an armor divisor.
Honestly? I'm just about certain it's because they are holdovers from the 3rd edition rules not brought into alignment with the 4e mechanics for either Innate Attacks or enhancements for everything. If they *had* been, they probably wouldn't exist as separate advantages.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
I'm just about certain it's because they are holdovers from the 3rd edition rules.
No, given that 3rd edition claws were totally different (15 point claws for +2 damage, 40 point claws for Swing/Cut or Thrust/Imp damage, 55 point claws for both) I doubt it's a holdover. More likely it's just because applying advantages to claws can be ridiculously cheap (ST damage is normally a ridiculously terrible deal compared to innate attack, but not when you put 500% worth of advantages on 3 point crushing claws) and GURPS doesn't have a mechanic for handling this (something like the Hero System 'damage class' system would work, but would produce rather un-gurpslike numbers).
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Libertine

That's been my issue, innate attack, melee makes striking ST obsolete. That is why I cap melee limitations at a +1 1/4 die cost and have the players use striking st to add damage to it. Another way to do his claws would be an innate attack coupled with superclimbing with a high persistant signature(claw marks) and each activation would be coupled with hamfisted and cost 1 go as the claws rip through the skin and interferes with his muscles,nerves, and bones in his hand discounting the cost by 20%.

Last edited by Libertine; 12-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Nereidalbel

Quote:
That's been my issue, innate attack, melee makes striking ST obsolete. That is why I cap melee limitations at a +1 1/4 die cost and have the players use st strength to add damage to it. Another way to do his claws would be an innate attack coupled with superclimbing with a high persistant signature(claw marks).
Melee IA only makes Striking ST obsolete at very high levels. If you use Melee: ST-Based, you're just buying extra damage to your Striking ST, and changing your damage type from Crushing to Cutting.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
Libertine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Melee IA only makes Striking ST obsolete at very high levels. If you use Melee: ST-Based, you're just buying extra damage to your Striking ST, and changing your damage type from Crushing to Cutting.
As in two levels. It takes an awful lot of striking ST to go past 2d damage.

Tags
armor divisor, claws