Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
Kfireblade

Default High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor

So I'm having a problem with a TL8/9 game I am running. the UT armor at TL 9 aside from like, the combat hard suits, dose not really seem much better at all then the HT armor, and in once case is MUCH worse. the TL 8 advanced body armor is DR 35/5* and concealable. The TL 9 concealable armor dose not even begin to approach that in effectiveness. The Reflex vest is 12/4* and the tactical vest, which is not concealable is 18/7* unless you include plates.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:07 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
So I'm having a problem with a TL8/9 game I am running. the UT armor at TL 9 aside from like, the combat hard suits, dose not really seem much better at all then the HT armor, and in once case is MUCH worse. the TL 8 advanced body armor is DR 35/5* and concealable.
And isn't really really a real thing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I seem to recall it was based on some claims the manufacturer was never able to deliver on.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I seem to recall it was based on some claims the manufacturer was never able to deliver on.
Right. Attempting to make that armor using David's Cutting-Edge Armor Design article while using the listed thickness of the scales gives DR roughly half of HT's listed value, IIRC. YMMV, though; I'm still futzing with the three armor design articles.

That said, I'm having some troubles comparing the Reflex Vests in UT with the Concealable Vests in HT, given the numbers are almost identical....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

Yeah, as the others have mentioned, the Advanced Body Armor stats in High Tech are generally considered rather implausible these days.

That said, it's still true that a lot of the Ultra-Tech armors are a bit lacklustre compared to High-Tech's stats. Ultra-Tech was written first by a good number of years, and some of its assumptions definitely don't match more recent GURPS books. It's a fair bit of work, but you could use the articles "Cutting Edge Armor Design" in Pyramid #3/85, and "Ultra-Tech Armor Design" from Pyramid #3/96. Together, they provide rules that should allow you to rebuild various ultra-tech armors in a way that makes them better than equivalent high-tech ones.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
That said, it's still true that a lot of the Ultra-Tech armors are a bit lacklustre compared to High-Tech's stats. Ultra-Tech was written first by a good number of years, and some of its assumptions definitely don't match more recent GURPS books. It's a fair bit of work, but you could use the articles "Cutting Edge Armor Design" in Pyramid #3/85, and "Ultra-Tech Armor Design" from Pyramid #3/96. Together, they provide rules that should allow you to rebuild various ultra-tech armors in a way that makes them better than equivalent high-tech ones.
As I'm reverse-engineering the DR of the armor from the thickness of the armors, using the DR/inch rather than assigning DR and working from that as the articles call for, do we have decent approximations for how thick fabric (particularly concealed and tactical vests), scale, mail, and plate armors should be?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
do we have decent approximations for how thick fabric (particularly concealed and tactical vests), scale, mail, and plate armors should be?
Not that I know of, I'm afraid. I'm sure someone more familiar with real-world armor could supply some guidelines, though.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #8
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
ughhhhh I let one of my players take it because I mean.....kinda just was not paying enough attention really and did not realize how stupid good it was.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfireblade View Post
ughhhhh I let one of my players take it because I mean.....kinda just was not paying enough attention really and did not realize how stupid good it was.
If you are running TL8/9 you could just say its from the TL9 end of the available spectrum (unless you keeping the TL9 stuff back a bit)?
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:05 AM   #10
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
If you are running TL8/9 you could just say its from the TL9 end of the available spectrum (unless you keeping the TL9 stuff back a bit)?
Ya, They have seen all of one piece of TL 9 gear so far and are not supposed to have access to any.

Tags
armor, high-tech, ultra-tech