Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Libertine

Default Why can't claws and teeth have an armor divisor?

Was this an oversight in B1? It is listed that only Innate Attacks and Afflictions can have this enhancement.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Why can't claws and teeth have an armor divisor?

Claws/teeth with AD would be considered ST-based Innate Attacks.

Last edited by Nereidalbel; 12-03-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Libertine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Claws/teeth with AD would be considered ST-based Innate Attacks.
Here is my issue with that. Take Wolverines claws. He can attack with his retractable claws at C,1 or 2. There is no melee option for that in B1. There is either C-1, 1-2,or 2-3, but not C-2 which is realistic for the power.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Refplace

Powers and Power Ups 4: Enhancements cover this.
You need to pay the AD on your ST as well as the claws but you can do it.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Here is my issue with that. Take Wolverines claws. He can attack with his retractable claws at C,1 or 2. There is no melee option for that in B1. There is either C-1, 1-2,or 2-3, but not C-2 which is realistic for the power.
I think the only way for Wolverine to strike at Reach 2 with his claws is to do a lunge of some sort - that is, All Out Attack (Long). That said, you could have a character with 2-yard claws. A C-2 Innate Attack would, at worst, be a C-1 with 1-2 as an Alternate Ability (attack powers can switch freely if memory serves). I'd be tempted to just add +10% or something per additional yard of reach (in either direction), starting with whatever is the most expensive ability. So, if in your above 2-3 is the most expensive, you'd grab that and add on +20% and get a C-3 attack.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Wolverine's claws most definitely are not long enough to count as Reach 2 weapons. They are most definitely Reach C-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I think the only way for Wolverine to strike at Reach 2 with his claws is to do a lunge of some sort - that is, All Out Attack (Long). That said, you could have a character with 2-yard claws. A C-2 Innate Attack would, at worst, be a C-1 with 1-2 as an Alternate Ability (attack powers can switch freely if memory serves). I'd be tempted to just add +10% or something per additional yard of reach (in either direction), starting with whatever is the most expensive ability. So, if in your above 2-3 is the most expensive, you'd grab that and add on +20% and get a C-3 attack.
That would simulate Wolverine's ability to only partially extend his claws when he chooses.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Anaraxes

I'd disagree that Wolverine's claws have reach 2. They're not three feet long.

For an IA Melee attach which did have reach C,1,2, I'd add an Enhancement. (Increased Range is tempting, but it's not really for this purpose :)).

Another RAW build would be to take a C,1 as well as a 1,2 version of the IA as Alternate Attacks. (That is, effectively an additional 20% cost.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Refplace

I also dont see hi claws as that long. Reach C,1 is waht I would give him. However if you want to make a longer reach and use the melee boost I mentioned then add long arms to him.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Libertine

Did some extra research, I see small swords with reach of 1 so yeah, C,1 would work for the innate attack. Okay, conundrum solved. Thanx sjforum board and those on this thread!

With my house rules on Innate attacks, the melee limitation must be made at 1/4 die cost(only +1cutting) with the melee ST enhancement. All other damage totals mist be bought as striking St, or, conversely, Striking strength one attack only.

So, wolverines claws are an innate attack melee(-20%) destructive parry(10%) dual melee(10%) st based(100%) & 1/10 armor divisor(200%) making the claws 12 pts total. To make the claws stronger, than ST strength one attack only (2pt a level) could be used. Does this sound right?

Last edited by Libertine; 12-03-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Was this an oversight in B1? It is listed that only Innate Attacks and Afflictions can have this enhancement.
You had to wait for Powers for that to work out. You just use the rules for Enhancing ST Based Damage.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor divisor, claws