Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2007, 01:34 AM   #31
makai

Default Re: Rate of Fire on a Binding Attack?

I really don't see why not.

I also noticed that if you get stuck in a binding attack that has both
(Engulfing +60%) and (unbreakable +40%) and you fumble on a 17 or 18 when trying to break free, that you're stuck permanently.

Engulfing disallows using an Escape skill when breaking free and says that "on a roll of 17 or 18 you become so entangled that you cannot escape on your own."

Unbreakable says "Your binding cannot be destroyed, the only way to escape is to break free."
makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 AM   #32
HeroPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by makai

(Engulfing +60%) and (unbreakable +40%) and you fumble on a 17 or 18 when trying to break free, that you're stuck permanently.

Engulfing disallows using an Escape skill when breaking free and says that "on a roll of 17 or 18 you become so entangled that you cannot escape on your own."

Unbreakable says "Your binding cannot be destroyed, the only way to escape is to break free."
Doesn't Binding assume a default time limit until the Binding deteriorates on its own? If it doesn't, I'd go ahead a rule that was the case anyway, because frankly, it's a little too broken otherwise, compared with the steep costs of Create leaving permanent instances. It's easy enough to rationalize, as the stuff melting or dissolving, or falling apart because the supernatural force used to make it cling to itself in the first place fades away and has it just fall back into order. Dunno how long would be fair though. :/

EDIT: As far as your combination goes, I'd only allow it provided a maximum duration clause for Binding existed like the one above. Otherwise, I'd make them mutually exclusive.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #33
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by makai

That one is called being swallowed whole by something really big, so it should be followed up with a nice cyclical acid attack as it digests the target.
Have a nice day, make a new character. *grin*
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 AM   #34
OneSeventeen

IDHMBWM, but doesn't it say something to the effect of a time limit in the engulfing text? I thought I remembered that when I looked at it last night. Could be wrong, of course.
OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #35
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSeventeen
IDHMBWM, but doesn't it say something to the effect of a time limit in the engulfing text?
No. The only temporal quality mentioned for Engulfing is that repeated attempts to break free can only be made every 10 seconds, as opposed to every second for normal Binding.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #36
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty
Nothing special -- you'd get a big bonus to hit, plus the extra +3 or so for targeting an area, and you'd probably layer everyone with a dozen or so strands pretty easily.

Molokh seems to be thinking that Area Effect means every single shot hits automatically (at least, if I'm understanding his post right), but that's not the case.
Not everyone. Only the target. With all 300 shots. That's what the combo of AE 512yd and Selective Area is fore. Even though I only score a direct hit or two, all Areas are no further from the target than the AE radius, and SE excludes everything except the target.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #37
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Not everyone. Only the target. With all 300 shots. That's what the combo of AE 512yd and Selective Area is fore. Even though I only score a direct hit or two, all Areas are no further from the target than the AE radius, and SE excludes everything except the target.
You have a point... up to a point.

Assuming that there is no cover to dive behind with Dodge&Drop, the target will have no legal Active Defense. So you do have a guaranteed hit (unless you fail by more than 512...).

However - that doesn't change the calculation for how many shots you hit with. You still divide your MoS by the Rcl to get the number of hits. Area Effect doesn't change that. It just negates Active Defenses, most of the time.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #38
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Nope, you still only hit with 10-12 strands, not to mention that Area Effect and Rapid Fire don't normally go together.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #39
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
However - that doesn't change the calculation for how many shots you hit with. You still divide your MoS by the Rcl to get the number of hits. Area Effect doesn't change that. It just negates Active Defenses, most of the time.
The number of direct hits. Those shots that missed use the scatter rule, which means that they fall somewhere depending on MoF and a 1d6 for direction. Or do you think that a grenade that misses the target, but still falls within the explosion radius of the target does no damage to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha
Nope, you still only hit with 10-12 strands, not to mention that Area Effect and Rapid Fire don't normally go together.
Area Effect doesn't go with Jet. Rapid Fire doesn't go with Cone or Jet. But nothing prevents me from joining Area Effect and Rapid Fire by RAW&P.

If need arises, I can define it as a gatling greadelauncher which fires nanite-filled grenades which can be programmed to only affect one target and self-neutralize otherwise. *grin*
Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #40
Outtotheblack

Or, optionally, you could stack a ridiculuos level of Accuracy on Binding.

Binding 1 (RoF 300, +300%, Acc +300, 1500%) 38pts.
Outtotheblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binding, maximum duration, rapid fire