Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
FeiLin

Default Re: Shotgun and range

Thanks for the answers and discussion! I mostly go by Basic rules, at this point, but maybe I'll just let the pi become pi++ (whatever slugs are; can't remember seeing that in the Basic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
You're aware that with shotguns you don't add up the damage but compare each 1d+1 roll to the DR?
Yep. I found 1d+1 averages 1 HP against 3 DR, and then ~7.5 hits with 12+5 (RF bonus). It scales pretty well on a Rcl 1 with maximum 27 shots (3x9 for the shotgun)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
To answer your last question, RoF adds to skill normally, even above 16, but a roll of 17-18 is always a miss, regardless of how high your skill gets. With ridiculous skill levels, this can mean you either miss outright or hit with every single shot, with nothing in between.
I felt that was a bit unbalanced at first, but I guess ridiculous Dodge levels counter that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If your effective skill is, say, 20, a roll of 17 is a failure, while a roll of 16 is a margin of success of 4. Does that help?
Yes, exactly, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
Below 10% range you roll a single combined damage roll and multiply the target's DR as stated. But this means instead of separate 1d+1 attacks you could be rolling 4d+4. While at first glance this looks like the same damage, but the pi++ modifier helps, and against soft armor where every 5 points does one point of blunt trauma, the 4d+4 is a lot nastier than individual 1d+1 attacks. This means you'll probably do around 3 pts of damage to somebody wearing a kevlar vest even though you can't penetrate it, as long as you are within 'boomstick' range. Note pi++ only applies to penetrating damage so doesn't help with the blunt trauma.
That's a very good point, about blunt trauma. I'm trying to understand what it all "means" as a simulation for real life. Basically, half the shots hit, and are counted together without having larger chance to penetrate through DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
*Posting on phone, can’t really do the special character properly.
Kudos to the dedication of the people on this forum! Standing by by phone to give quick replies followed by deeper insights around the clock!
FeiLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
That's a very good point, about blunt trauma. I'm trying to understand what it all "means" as a simulation for real life. Basically, half the shots hit, and are counted together without having larger chance to penetrate through DR.
What it means is all shots hit, in a dense cluster not much wider than the shotgun barrel. The effect is more like a very soft slug (which is just the name for full-size 'bullets' fired from a shotgun, as opposed to the iconic multiple-shot loads) than like the sum of scattered pellets. Though once you factor in the conversion from pi to pi++, the total injury is about the same as all pellets hitting individually.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeiLin View Post
Yep. I found 1d+1 averages 1 HP against 3 DR, and then ~7.5 hits with 12+5 (RF bonus). It scales pretty well on a Rcl 1 with maximum 27 shots (3x9 for the shotgun)...
Wait! What? You lost me. What does 12+5 (RF bonus) mean? Are you applying the RF bonus to the damage?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage reduction, range, rapid fire, rate of fire, shotgun