Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 PM   #51
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [High-Tech] Military Equipment: Global War on Terror edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
ISIS is even reported to have captured much larger surface-to-air missile launchers, the Soviet S-125. These do 6dx30 [3dx6] damage and have a 22 mile range. I'm unclear on accuracy and speed.
Wikipedia has a fair amount of detail on these.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 AM   #52
Icelander

Default AN/PEQ-2A Target Pointer/Illuminator/Aiming Light and later replacements

Does anyone have experience with the Insight AN/PEQ-2A, the AN/PEQ-15 and the AN/PEQ-16?

From what I can find on the Internet, the AN/PEQ-2A is supposed to be larger and heavier than the AN/PEQ-15 which replaced it. The AN/PEQ-16 has slightly different dimensions than the AN/PEQ-15, due to adding a visible light function, but is comparable to the AN/PEQ-2A in final bulk and weight.

According to the manufacturer, the Insight device designated as AN/PEQ-2A is 6.4" x 2.8" x 1.2" (163 mm x 71 mm x 30 mm) and weighs around 7.4 ounces without batteries. With two alkaline AA batteries it weighs something just over 9 ounces. If using rechargable Ni-MH AA batteries it would weigh slightly more, around 9.5 ounces.

The AN/PEQ-2A is given GURPS stats in the write-up of the CheyTac M200 Intervention on TS p. 64. The Weight is given as 0.5 lbs., which I suppose is rounding down from the weight with alkaline AA batteries. The range of the IR illuminator is given as 650 yards and the IR targeting laser as 5,500 yards.

Are these ranges correct? It seems very strange that the later issue AN/PEQ-16, which is statted on TS p. 74, would have so much shorter ranges in comparison (IR illuminator 150 yards, IR laser 2,200 yards).

Especially as I can't find any source saying that the AN/PEQ-16 has reduced power IR illumination* in comparison with earlier issue devices and from what I can tell, the IR light and IR laser in both devices are rated the same output power and given the same estimated range in manufacturer literature and military publications.

Also, I'm not sure about the Weight, though that might be due to differences between the AN/PEQ-16 IPIM, the AN/PEQ-16A MIPIM and AN/PEQ-16B LED. The AN/PEQ-16A is usualy listed as 9.9 ounces with batteries, in this case two 3-volt CR123 lithum batteries. As it is slightly larger than the AN/PEQ-15 and takes one more battery, it seems logical that it should be a couple of ounces heavier.

Anyway, is the AN/PEQ-2A a much more effective IR illuminator than the AN/PEQ-16 series? Does the IR laser have equivalent range to the inbuilt laser in 3.7 lbs. Rangefinder Binoculars (TS p. 77) and only a smidgen less than that of 5.5 lbs. laser target designators or laser illuminators for crew-served weapons that weigh 1.5 lbs.?

*I can find plenty of complaints that the visible light function is far from being 100 lumen and pretty much useless, which eventually led to the AN/PEQ-16B LED model being adopted.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-31-2017 at 06:32 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #53
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Wikipedia has a fair amount of detail on these.
Yeah—I'm just not seeing Circular Error Probable or anything like that. Upgraded versions are given a speed of 1000 m/s, not sure what the originals are like though speed-wise.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #54
warellis

http://spioenkop.blogspot.com/

This blog is one of the best I've seen on the various big factions of the Syrian Civil War. It is exhaustive and detailed on things like vehicles and weapons and such. I think it would be useful for anyone here.
warellis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #55
Michael Thayne

Post-script: one of my initial frustrations writing this was finding GURPS statistics for weapons newer than WWII. After doing more research, however, it's less clear that this is a problem. Since 1945, we've improved guidance systems, warheads, and penetrators, but propellants—including rocket fuel—seem to be basically where they were in 1945. Widely-used ballistic missiles like the Scud-B, for example, have practically identical range and payload to the German V-2. So I think GMs running modern games shouldn't be shy about recycling WWII-era guns for use in TL8 games.

Update: I'd originally incorrectly labeled the Scud-B as a cruise missile.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 03-31-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:35 AM   #56
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Widely-used cruise missiles like the Scud-B, for example, have practically identical range and payload to the German V-2..
Alas, while "cruise missile" sounds cool the correct nomenclature for the Scud and its' ilk (and forerunners like the V-2) is 'Short Range Ballistic Missile".

A cruise missile is a thing like a drone aircraft rather than a rocket. It usually needs to go for direct impact too but there are Tomahawk variants that drop sub-munitions.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #57
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I have experience with the PEQ-15 but not any of those other systems.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #58
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I have experience with the PEQ-15 but not any of those other systems.
Do you recall how far away the IR illuminator could be seen through night vision?

Different systems are marketed as being visible anywhere from 200-800 meters. The SureFire V series combination white light/IR illuminators are marketed as being effective out to 300 meters, but Internet people who've tested it seem to believe that the actual range at which it provides useful illumination is somewhat shorter.

GURPS gives the AN/PEQ-16 pretty long range and so far, I haven't seen any indication that the AN/PEQ-15 is all that different in IR illumination mode. I don't have my books with me (using an iPad), but think it's pretty decent range. Not as far as the AN/PEQ-2A, though, which is pretty surprising. I mean, why would the 'upgrade', which seems to use very similar components, be worse?
Old 03-31-2017, 02:14 PM   #59
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Farther than I would ever shoot in a night engagement.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:19 PM   #60
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Farther than I would ever shoot in a night engagement.
Most likely, but the AN/PEQ-15 could be mounted on GPMGs or sharpshooter rifles. And used by skil 20+ PCs.

Tags
high-tech, modern firepower