Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Multiple hits from one targeted attack.

Generic scatter doesn't work, it should be dependent on the weapon's dispersal pattern and the range.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
A lot of what-if involved there, but I like it. I'm thinking of a graphical way to do this, and I think I have one. Put torso in the middle, then in five directions, put nested locations. Torso/neck/face/brain/eye; Torso/arm/hand/joints (twice); Torso/leg/upper leg/lower leg/knee/foot (twice).

Then start at the aimed location, and move closer and closer to torso until you run out of penalties, as you describe.
I like it. Use the sublocations as random hit locations.
Torso = chest, abdomen, vitals, spine, etc.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #23
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Generic scatter doesn't work, it should be dependent on the weapon's dispersal pattern and the range.
We already have a variable that addresses dispersal pattern, though Rcl may not be much good at it.

Would definitely agree that range should be a factor...or rather range mod + SM + hit location modifiers. Using SM and/or hit location without adding the range modifier is probably not going to make sense.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
We already have a variable that addresses dispersal pattern, though Rcl may not be much good at it.
Acc is the variable that relates directly to minute-of-angle.
Quote:
Would definitely agree that range should be a factor...or rather range mod + SM + hit location modifiers. Using SM and/or hit location without adding the range modifier is probably not going to make sense.
SM affects the silhouette, hit location determines the aim point, but the overlay is independent of these. The reason why range matters is because dispersion distance increases as a function of distance.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 11-01-2016 at 11:16 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #25
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Acc is the variable that relates directly to minute-of-angle.
True (if a bit questionable given it's mechanical function) by RAW, but Rcl is about nothing but dispersion pattern.

You could perhaps use them both, though really more or less shredding both would probably help.
Quote:
SM affects the silhouette, hit location determines the aim point, but the overlay is independent of these. The reason why range matters is because dispersion distance increases as a function of distance.
Having SM scale the silhouette and range scale the overlay is no different from having SM + range scale either the silhouette or overlay while the other doesn't change.

If the hit location modifier's role is essentially embedded in a play aid then it can be omitted from the calculation, yeah.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:11 AM   #26
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
And the ammo used. The dispersion is very high on military grade ammo (and your weapon gets dirty very quickly and its more difficult to clean), high on factory ammo, and low on self-made ammo.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
called shot, multiple hits, rapid fire, targeted attack