Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-27-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
LadyThorne

Default Strength starting at 0 not 10

Have noticed that my copy (checked for updates, I'm current) auto defaults strength to 0, and charges 110 points to bring to 10. How can I fix. Is anyone else having this issue?

I've gone into the Attributes tab and noticed ST is missing from the list. I see no way to add it back to the list.

Last edited by LadyThorne; 08-27-2020 at 06:33 PM. Reason: discovered addtional information
LadyThorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Strength starting at 0 not 10

Is this on new characters or just an existing character? If this is just on an existing character try going to Tools -> Resynchronize and resync the Attributes.

What data files are you loading? Note that per the FAQ you need to be careful about what data files you're using, loading only those files you need for your current campaign. Loading other data files can cause issues.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
LadyThorne

that's the craziest thing. My husband is on a different machine, running every book (I'm only running Basic, magic 4e, mysteries 4e and steampunk in that order), and he managed to get 1 character (his own which he had to redo at least once cause he lost it) is perfectly fine! But the character he tried to build after that with the same setup, lost the ST stat.

I've resynced mine just now and no joy.
We've taken his successful character and stripped the data and have been using it as a template for the time being. It's not a pretty solution, but sufficing for the nonce. Still wish we could find the error.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:56 AM   #4
Angel Darkover

My suggestion is this. Strip out every data file but basic and reload the data set. Then create a new character. It should reset beginning stats at 10 - if it doesn't something more serious is going on or your basic data file is corrupted somehow. If it does reset to 10, delete the character, add another book/data file to the data set (the next one in your order), reload the data set (this must be done each time), and then create another new character. Keep doing this for each of the books until you find which data file causes the issue. That will help identify the root cause.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #5
LadyThorne

Found the problem file. My Steampunk file. if I add it after the character is open then I'm fine, but if I open the character after I load that file, no strength. I'm going to notify the source of the steampunk file.
Thank you for helping me figure it out