Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2016, 05:41 PM   #51
fchase8

Default Re: Highest Point Person Alive?

What about The Pope? He is the head of probably the largest organization in the world, massive amounts of money and people. Physically he's obviously not very imposing (though not as frail as the likes of Queen Elizabeth II or the prior Pope), but seems smart, knowledgeable, and clearly has great social skills.

It's true, he doesn't have much of a military presence, though those who are loyal to him are completely loyal to him (the Swiss Guard and Vatican Police are more loyal than even the Secret Service). And unlike political/military leaders, he's welcome virtually everywhere (he might have a hard time in North Korea, but even Iran wouldn't be too hostile).

What's more, his position is for life, not limited like elected officials.

At least on points in social skills and advantages, he might be the highest.

Two other possibilities: the King of Saudi Arabia and the Ayatollah of Iran. Both are supreme leaders with much more executive authority than POTUS, lead countries with powerful armed forces and spy agencies, not to mention power in religious circles (the Ayatollah's is more established, but the king's is in a bigger religion). And they rule for life.

Though this line of reasoning would again point to Putin. And all three states are currently experiencing economic downturns. Plus they all have significant enemies (in the Saudi king & Iranian Ayatollah, it would be each other...).
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #52
AlexanderHowl

As many of my Muslim friends would tell you, the King of Saudi Arabia is not the leader of Sunni Islam. To the majority of them, he is just one of a bunch of hopped up bandit kings whose family was willing to make a deal with several devils for personal power. He is not the Caliph and, until the Caliph is chosen again, there will be no leader of Sunni Islam similar to the Pope.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #53
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
As many of my Muslim friends would tell you, the King of Saudi Arabia is not the leader of Sunni Islam. To the majority of them, he is just one of a bunch of hopped up bandit kings whose family was willing to make a deal with several devils for personal power. He is not the Caliph and, until the Caliph is chosen again, there will be no leader of Sunni Islam similar to the Pope.
I tend to think that most religious leaders are more Venerated and Respected figure heads than have any real power.
Look how many American Catholics ignore technically official Pope rulings.
I would more say that he has administrative rank to somewhat order priests and whatever all those other ranks under him are called.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Not to be immodest, but I have Magery 9000. Unfortunately, the real world is a no-mana zone.
I have a rank or two in Musical talent for instruments, but don't care for music. My sheet is horribly un-optimized.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #55
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruundehn View Post
There are no points given the player to spend on normal use of limbs and senses. You start with those without cost.
You can buy more than two arms and legs, and enhanced senses, and loose them in the first session if everything goes wrong.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #56
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
There are some folks declaring a Caliph...
Old 04-11-2016, 07:44 PM   #57
AlexanderHowl

Yes, people who are completely unqualified because, according to traditional beliefs, the Caliph can only be someone appointed directly by Allah or Mohammed.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #58
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
There are some folks declaring a Caliph...
And there's some folks declaring their cult leader is Jesus Christ Risen. They don't really have a consensus.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #59
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
And there's some folks declaring their cult leader is Jesus Christ Risen. They don't really have a consensus.
We may all find our governments' rule by force morally distasteful, but it is far clearer and more objectively visible than any rule by belief, moral or otherwise.

"He's holier than you!" "Nu uh!"
"I've got a gun!" "I, uh, can't argue with that."
Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #60
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Yes, people who are completely unqualified because, according to traditional beliefs, the Caliph can only be someone appointed directly by Allah or Mohammed.
He IS. a quereshi so he is of the line of Muhammad, and he DOES have authority.

The Ottomans were able to claim Caliphate for a long time. If Al Baghdad or whatever he calls himself survives and expands... Maybe he will have the power to call himself Caliph.

Its not exactly impossible.