Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #11
thulben

Default Re: Chi Power Limitation: Rituals = Missed Sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
The big problem is when people are on the roads and pushing hard to get somewhere: 12 hours of sleep (in three watches of 8 hours each) plus 5 hours of rituals means there is only 7 hours of marching.
That can provide dramatic tension. Do you forgo the rituals in the name of speed? The universe may well depend you getting there in the nick of time!
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #12
T.K.

I believe your better solution for this is use your good ol hand-wave here:

The chores/meditation/whatever are there for lore, fluff and balance for having to spend time doing that and all.

I believe you should make it as inconvenient as it suits your setting. Do you use a heavy setting on different religions and sects and it's heavily emphasized by your beliefs, doings and such?
Is it just another option between a myriad of others, like magic, psionics, powers and so much hassle would hinder it more than sparkle it apart?

There's a breaking point between "Awesome... I see the carriage is somewhat small, but enough for me to do my stretchings and prayers, focusing my mind and strenghtning my body once again! Please, don't interrupt me unless we're attacked!" and "Godammit Bob, we gotta stop in the middle of the goddamn swamp of doom and gloom to wait you do your goddamn babblings...again!? And all that just to kick stuff harder!! Really, c'mon now...why didn't you make a normal fighter with a sword and board or something...sigh"

Finding the middle ground, whatever it is for your game, should be best
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #13
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
One gets used to it. After doing that long enough you get used to sleeping in 4 hour blocks and will awaken after 4 even if you're on a straight 8 shift. You get a drink, go the bathroom, get a smoke, whatever and go back to sleep for 3 1/2 more hours.
Yep. I have a medical disability so I must get up three times per night, and I sleep in three-hour shifts. I have a clock set to beep, but most of the time I wake up just before the clock rings. Or the cat wakes me, because he's convinced I'm getting up to get him food. Food is very important to him.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Or the cat wakes me, because he's convinced I'm getting up to get him food. Food is very important to him.
My cat wakes me up to throw his toy for him. Because 1 am is the best time for playing fetch.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chi power, dungeon fantasy