Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Kazander

Default True Sight Spell?

Is there a spell-equivalent to the True Sight enhancement for the See Invisible ability that allows you to see through camouflage, illusions, disguises, the Blur spell, or 'displacement' effects? The last one is of particular importance.

I'm not seeing one if there is, in Magic or the various DF books or Pyramid issues.
Kazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
sonic232

Default Re: True Sight Spell?

There's a whole bunch under Knowledge spells

Know True Shape will see through things like Alter Visage, Illusion Disguise and the like

Mage Sense lets you know that an unseen magical item/creature is nearby (though does not see through the illusion, it would let you know some magical thing nearby is unseen)

Mage Sight would allow you to see the glow of an invisible person (they would still be invisible, but would glow in your eyes due to the magic surrounding them)

Astral Vision allows you to see those with Insubstantial on

See Secrets... Up to GM interpretation if 'Somebody is standing in the room invisibly' counts as a hidden item/door/trap/etc... It does not specify if the item was hidden magically or not, merely that it was deliberately hidden.

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but you get the picture :)
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
starslayer

Can you qualify what a displacement effect is?

The various detect spells are good candidates to look at though.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer
Can you qualify what a displacement effect is?
I assume this is an effect that makes a subject appear to be a small distance to one side of where they actually are. So, attacking the visible image probably misses, but people can still easily see that you're present, what you're doing (casting a spell, Body Language, etc), as you're not invisible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic232 View Post
I'm sure I'm missing a few
Tell Position is practically custom-made for detecting visual displacement, as it tells you exactly where something really is relative to you. Know True Shape includes appearance-altering illusions, not just Shapeshift.

Aura might create the aura around the subject's true position, rather than being displaced.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy