Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #1731
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Ravens N' Pennies - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Cool, that makes sense! Thanks for working it out.
Glad I could help.

Quote:
(What I want this for is a little side-project. If you've ever played or heard of the Sentinels of the Multiverse card game, I'm converting several of the heroes there into GURPS stats. One of them is "Setback", a luck-based hero who's actually a jinx - he makes bad stuff happen to enemies, but also himself and sometimes allies, and occasionally has strokes of really good luck. This build, I suspect, will be very helpful if I get around to doing him.)
I wanna see!

Quote:
Takes Extra Time works fine for a few-second delay, but I tend to be skeptical of its value when pushing time into the minutes or hours range. To make the time 10 minutes, for example, would take slightly over 9 levels of TET. While that's a big limitation compared to leeching 1 HP per second, I'm not sure it's a 90% limitation.

Onset has the issues Bruno identified: it delays the starting time of the drain, but not the actual drain rate.

Immediate Preparation Required might be the thing to use, now that I think of it. That would be a -30% limitation for a drain that took a minute, -45% for 10 minutes, -75% for an hour, and -90% for 8 hours. That sounds about right to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That was my first thought, but it's no better than Onset - one "use" doesn't really seem to be "one second of contact". If it is, then Onset is our thing and we just go along our merry way... but I don't think it is.

Being a trait with no particular duration mentioned, the default when you start mucking around with it is one minute. You can fix that with -35% in Reduced Duration.
This just gave me an idea. I know Reduced Duration says you can't go below one second - but what if you could? What if it "wrapped around" like heavily modified advantages turned into disadvantage (e.g., shadow form). So let's play with the numbers a bit:

Let's say you want to be able to Leech someone every minute. You'd add Reduced Duration 1/60 for -35% and you'd need to maintain contact for that entire time. Hmmm. That actually seems about right.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #1732
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I wanna see!
Thanks for the interest! I've been posting the results over on RPG.net's forums, on their new character builds subforum. Here's the thread:
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...ero-characters

Note that I've only got through a few of the heroes so far, and Setback might be a long way off. But I'm working on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer
This just gave me an idea. I know Reduced Duration says you can't go below one second - but what if you could? What if it "wrapped around" like heavily modified advantages turned into disadvantage (e.g., shadow form).

Let's say you want to be able to Leech someone every minute. You'd add Reduced Duration 1/60 for -35% and you'd need to maintain contact for that entire time. Hmmm. That actually seems about right.
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here. Are you going with Bruno's suggestion that it's Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute, plus Reduced Duration 1/60th, for a total modifier of -65%? Or are you suggesting that the default "duration" of Leech is 1 second, and adding Reduced Duration 1/60 shortens the duration to 1/60th of a second, and you need to stack 60 of those, one per turn, to drain 1 HP?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #1733
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Thanks for the interest! I've been posting the results over on RPG.net's forums, on their new character builds subforum. Here's the thread:
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...ero-characters
Awesome! Thanks.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here. Are you going with Bruno's suggestion that it's Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute, plus Reduced Duration 1/60th, for a total modifier of -65%? Or are you suggesting that the default "duration" of Leech is 1 second, and adding Reduced Duration 1/60 shortens the duration to 1/60th of a second, and you need to stack 60 of those, one per turn, to drain 1 HP?

My thought is that with GM permission you can allow Reduced Duration to extend below the 1 second threshold. So if you have a power that takes a second to use with Reduced duration 1/60 it now takes a minute to use. hmm. Playing with the numbers some it works - but makes it cheaper than Immediate Preparation Required. Nevermind. That doesn't seem to work. Grr. I think Immediate Preparation Required may be the only way to go.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #1734
Christopher R. Rice

Carpe Blogiem: GURPS Discord

Keeping it short today - Thanksgiving here in the States - today I wax on a bit about Discord and it's uses for RPGs.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-29-2016, 03:03 AM   #1735
Christopher R. Rice

Aeon A-Team S02E01 - You Are Broken, But Not Forgotten

Been catching up with my session logs. Here's one from the Vault. Enjoy.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 11-29-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #1736
Christopher R. Rice

GURPS101: Making Friends and Conjuring People

I take a look at Allies in one of my deconstruction posts. It's probably one of the more versatile social abilities and can be used for familiars, henchthings, summoning, and more.

Become a Patron!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #1737
Kalzazz

I'm not sure how I would handle say Pikachu, who seems capable of rumbling with deific level foes and seems to outweigh Ash by more than 100%

Or maybe Ash has enough points in Luck, Destiny and other Plot Protagonist powers he is close enough to Pikachus weight class without being able to go the distance with Mewtwo

I'd like there to be more guidance on 'hand in their death' though, 'hey buddy, solo the invincible demon so I can have smoochies with the princess' is a bad idea, but 'hey buddy, lets you and I together explore the Perilous Palace of Pitfalls and Profits and fight as a team'?
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #1738
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I'm not sure how I would handle say Pikachu, who seems capable of rumbling with deific level foes and seems to outweigh Ash by more than 100%

Or maybe Ash has enough points in Luck, Destiny and other Plot Protagonist powers he is close enough to Pikachus weight class without being able to go the distance with Mewtwo

I'd like there to be more guidance on 'hand in their death' though, 'hey buddy, solo the invincible demon so I can have smoochies with the princess' is a bad idea, but 'hey buddy, lets you and I together explore the Perilous Palace of Pitfalls and Profits and fight as a team'?
Just buy him as a 200% ally just like I suggested in my article "A Familiar Path"

Become a Patron!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #1739
Kalzazz

Well, as I said, I think Pikachu outweighs Ash by more than 100%, so he is more than 200%
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #1740
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Well, as I said, I think Pikachu outweighs Ash by more than 100%, so he is more than 200%
I think for a +50% Cosmic exemption the GM could allow higher levels of allies - with care of course. Each +50% increase in points would cost +5 points.

Become a Patron!

Tags
blogs