Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Onkl

Default How to Host a Dungeon

Hi guys

I've stumbled upon a nice little game I would like to introduce to you.

It's called "How To Host A Dungeon" and is, in the words of the creator Tony Dowler, "part solo game, part toy, part toolkit for creating dungeons in the style of the Dungeons and Dragons role-playing game."

It is probably best explained by watching the following 2 part video on youtube. It's a playthrough/creation of a dungeon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzhprAUoJXs&NR=1

I bought the game yesterday and simply love it. I guess some of you guys might like it as well!

Cheers

Onkl

ps. http://planet-thirteen.com/Dungeon.aspx is where you can find the game itself.

Last edited by Onkl; 10-10-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added URL to game
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: How to Host a Dungeon

Does it just produce a two dimensional map oriented "sideways" like that? That doesn't seem too useful for gaming. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Just read the demo version. That's covered. The "rooms" aren't exactly "rooms" but entire areas.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-18-2011 at 03:30 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Does it just produce a two dimensional map oriented "sideways" like that? That doesn't seem too useful for gaming. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Just read the demo version. That's covered. The "rooms" aren't exactly "rooms" but entire areas.
You're right, it won't help a lot if you have problems "laying out" your dungeon - but then again, if this is your problem, go generate a dungeon on one of the gazillion dungeon generator sites out there.
But it helps with the history of the dungeon and even on the lands above ground. Why things are as they are... and that, for me at least, makes for some interesting "delving".
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
You're right, it won't help a lot if you have problems "laying out" your dungeon - but then again, if this is your problem, go generate a dungeon on one of the gazillion dungeon generator sites out there.
But it helps with the history of the dungeon and even on the lands above ground. Why things are as they are... and that, for me at least, makes for some interesting "delving".
Yeah, I got that after I read the actual demo. The youtube video was confusing (it also doesn't seem to replicable with the actual game, AFAICT).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Ts_

By the way, does this in any way compare to the "historically rich" dungeons in the current Pyramid on DF (3/36)? I haven't read the Pyramid except the intro to that article which happens to be in the preview. I'm just curious if there are parallels or if one could be used for the other.

Thanks
Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon, gm aid, single player gaming, toolkit