Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #1241
Phantasm

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
A bit of fun on this Friday, as a conversation on Discord turned to fighter capacity for space carriers. Questions on how small a fighter could be, and what would fit into a hangar, led me to look for the smallest starfighter I could find. The Viper Mk II and Mk VII were it. So here's a design, using GURPS Spaceships.

GURPS Spaceships: Viper Mk VII
Awesome work.

I would probably give the oBSG Colonial Viper the same stats, even if the weaponry is said to be "laser torpedoes" in the pilot episode. (Clearly, Glen Larson took lessons at the George Lucas School of Badly-Named Terminology.) I'd be more likely to just plonk field-jacketed particle beams in their stead.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #1242
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Awesome work.

I would probably give the oBSG Colonial Viper the same stats, even if the weaponry is said to be "laser torpedoes" in the pilot episode. (Clearly, Glen Larson took lessons at the George Lucas School of Badly-Named Terminology.) I'd be more likely to just plonk field-jacketed particle beams in their stead.
Legit. I did some quick fiddle, and with adding lasers or energy weapons of some sort, you lose one of the three mounts and replace it with an MHD turbine, which gives 78 hours of operation for the two remaining lasers. As you burn turbo, you lose endurance for the lasers too, but you never run out of ammo. I had to go up to a system TL of 10 or more to get the lasers in there, of course.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #1243
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
a follow-up post to my own on why Brandon Blackmoor, in his search for a fantasy system to run a game, should use GURPS. GURPS Forum poster and Discordian Kalzazz made a suggestion, and I asked him to write it up, and I’d post it. Here it is!

Why not Open d6?
Wonderful article! I also loved the d6 system, in its Star Wars form as played at the end of the 80s...
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #1244
Kalzazz

Thank you!

I have very fond memories of D6, and its something I still occasionally mess around with . . . . its far from a perfect system (name one that is) but it mostly works pretty good, and it comes in some ways close to meeting this DMs criteria for a game for his system. I wouldn't claim its the One True System, but I'd claim it as an option

As for how this relates to GURPS, the D6 books are fine sources of material to mine for GURPS, as who doesn't want more monsters and locations and such?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #1245
DouglasCole

I redesign each of the four TL9 pistols in the GURPS Ultra-Tech book, trying to keep close to as many of the stats as possible, but changing the ones that make no sense.

Sunday is GunDay: GURPS Ultra-Tech Pistols
Old 04-03-2017, 12:24 AM   #1246
clu2415

I love it! The guns in UT have been driving me crazy!
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #1247
Kalzazz

It seems that since semi auto magazine using guns were invented back in TL 6 guns get better, but not hugely better
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #1248
clu2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
It seems that since semi auto magazine using guns were invented back in TL 6 guns get better, but not hugely better
The UT guns have been chafing me even more since I've read about the US military's LSAT and CTSAT development programs. These are programs to develop caseless and plastic-cased telescoped ammunition. Instead of a reciprocating bolt carrier, the firearms developed in these programs have rotating chambers where the spent remains of the case are pushed out by the next round of ammunition. This eliminates many failure modes of traditional firearms where cases fail and get stuck or fail to clear the firearm and it reduces felt recoil due to less reciprocating mass. Since the chamber is separate from the barrel, it doesn't retain heat like legacy firearms, so cooking off is not an issue. The program head has stated that a belt-feed mechanism has been designed that can be changed in the same time as a traditional magazine.

Designing a new firearm and ammunition hand in hand with no need to incorporate legacy elements means that bullets with very low drag have been incorporated as standard, allowing a 7mm caliber that delivers the same energy at 1200 meters as 7.62x51 with a lighter bullet and less felt recoil.

None of this is reflected in UltraTech, though.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #1249
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
There's a valid point here, which is that the bog-standard cased slugthrower model might be at a logical diminishing returns point. If you get big innovation for the following 2 TLs after intro (which for this type of weapon is TL8) then after that you're really dabbling around the edges.

I can see a few avenues of improvement, and mapping those out as concepts would be a good follow-on, and worth doing anyway as it'll guide my "where do we go from here" future posts on other weapon types.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #1250
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
I've read about the US military's LSAT and CTSAT development programs.
Throw down some links? I'd like to track some of this down.

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb