Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: Vote up a Fantasy Setting

Something in Ryan's post stuck with me.

'Story.'

This isn't a story. It's a game setting.
It will have history, of course, but that’s something else. IMO, 'story’ in an RPG is usually something that emerges in the actual gameplay. We can't dictate that in advance or at least I don't think we ought to try to do so. Not with a shared setting.

Of course, certain elements of the setting as we develop it will probably suggest particular themes or moods. The history and cultures of the setting will suggest certain campaign ideas, and make other ideas perhaps less likely or less attractive. Maybe just less obvious. That’s fine. A world with morally dubious or risky magic and a lot of vampires and werewolves suggests Gothic horror. But it could also be run as hack-and-slash ‘dungeon fantasy’ or even ‘Fearless Vampire Hunters’ comedy.

I hope that all of this makes sense.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #12
Purple Haze

The definition I was taught:

"low fantasy" - Magic is something ordinary people use in their daily lives.

"high fantasy" - Magic is not something an ordinary person would encounter, but where it exists it is world defining.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
The definition I was taught:

"low fantasy" - Magic is something ordinary people use in their daily lives.

"high fantasy" - Magic is not something an ordinary person would encounter, but where it exists it is world defining.

As you like. There's nothing wrong with those definitions-- they are just not the ones I know and use.

It doesn't really matter for this thread.

But I do welcome your sweet, sweet votes, Purple Haze.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
combatmedic
Banned

There will be a vote on the relative frequency and 'power' of magic, later.

That''s assuming that 'magic exists as set of cultural beliefs about how to interpret the world, but not as a set of powers that can be statted in game terms' is not the winner.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I use it.

I don't know any other useful definitions for 'High' and 'Low' fantasy. Maybe you do know some.
I prefer to make a checklist, and the more things are checked off, the closer it is to the platonic high fantasy. A world unlike our own (Mythic Britain is unlike our own world, despite nominally being our world, while Harn is quite a bit like our world, despite being completely fictional) certainly belongs on that list. Others are an epic scale, good and evil being an objective fact, and a variety of heroes (wizards can't solve every problem by casting a spell, warriors can't solve every problem by hitting it with a sword, even hobbits can shape the fortunes of all)*. That makes it very difficult to say "A is high fantasy, B is low fantasy" but that's par for the course of genre definitions.
Quote:
But you've hit on part of the reason why I chose not to open with a 'what kind of fantasy' question. Vague or contestable labels would not help much, and might lead to a pointless tangent about literary subgenres. We aren’t marketing or reviewing a fantasy novel—we are designing a shared world for gaming purposes.

Better, methinks, to just ask a series of questions about setting to be designed. The answers will give us a basic picture of what things are like. If you wish to label the resulting framework 'high', 'low' swords and sorcery', or whatever, it doesn't matter to me. I won't quibble with your personal definition.
Agreed on all counts (best not to ask, labels would be a distraction, and this thread would be siderailed if we continue this discussion here).

* A warrior centered fantasy tends more toward heroic fantasy, and rogue centered tends more toward urban fantasy.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post

Agreed on all counts (best not to ask, labels would be a distraction, and this thread would be siderailed if we continue this discussion here).
Yup.

Not that I don't find the tangent interesting and fun. But it should go elswhere.

I await further votes.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
samd6

Shape and Nature of the World
• Mostly Earthlike, but with some fantastical geography (flying islands, crystalline forests, vast underworld caverns, wandering mountains)
• World not yet fully formed from Primal Chaos, subject to change by powerful magicians, heroes, villains, gods

Magic System
please pick one. Or, if you really want more than one, choose 'Other' and specify
Other: Magic-as-powers for inherent (and quick) abilities, something like RPM for learned magic.

Tech Levels
• TL 2 (Default)
• TL 3 (without gunpowder)

Races/sapient creatures
Other: Humans and non-humanoids

Connections with other worlds
• World hopping is possible but rare

Gods
• One pantheon for the world (gods may be known by different names and aspects to the various cultures/races)
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
Ji ji

My votes:

Strange seasons, day-night cycle, or climates

Magic System
Magic as Powers (+ rituals for very powerful magic)

Tech Levels
Please vote twice, once for ‘default’ TL and once for the maximum TL that maybe included. These may be the same TL, if you like.

default TL 3, with only matchlock firearms

possibly TL 4; in this case, this is not intended as a world approaching a big scientific and cultural improvement like in our history, but a world in TL 4 from long time

Races/sapient creatures

Humans, humanoids, and non-humanoid races exist, may include spirits or talking beasts

World hopping is possible but rare

Gods

The gods are mysterious, distant beings—some mortals may even doubt their existence
Ji ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
Grouchy Chris

Other: Earth, with Earth's geography, cultures, etc., but with fantasy elements overlaid.

Magic System
Ritual Path Magic.

Tech Levels
Default: TL4
Maximum: TL4

Races/sapient creatures
Spirits and Humans only (with "spirits" broadly defined so as to include fairies, demons, and the like.)

Isolated

Gods
The gods are mysterious, distant beings—some mortals may even doubt their existence
Old 11-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
Faolyn

Quote:
Vote up a Fantasy Setting
I'm just gonna say, right off the bat, that I don't really like Tolkienesque fantasy. It's been done. Therefore, I hope my answers don't completely skew the results.

Quote:
Multiple votes are fine if the options can be reconciled, such as a hollow but Earthlike world, or a flat world with strange seasons
Mostly earthlike, but with quite a bit of fantastical geography. Perhaps the only land is floating islands and everything below is ocean. Or void. Crystalline forests are cool, too. I can see magical weather, but otherwise the seasons and climate should be fairly standard.

Quote:

Magic System
please pick one. Or, if you really want more than one, choose 'Other' and specify
Other. I'd like a "low" magic and a "high." High could be magic as powers (or psi), or Realms magic, while we could use RPM for the "low." If not RPM, then something else that has a potentially more folksy feel to it. I'm also not at all married to the names low and high; just to the idea that some magic is limited to a specific group (for political reasons? for bloodline reasons? for religious reasons?) while the other is more for everyone.

Quote:
Tech Levels
Please vote twice, once for ‘default’ TL and once for the maximum TL that maybe included. These may be the same TL, if you like.
Tl 3^, with gunpowder.

Quote:
Races/sapient creatures
Choose one option
Other: Humans and a variety of non-humanoid sentient beings--intelligent animals, spirits, and the like. Human variants would be fine, even if they are quite different, but I don't really want human/dwarf/elf/orc.

Quote:
Choose one
Gates are common, but to specific worlds: the Dreaming, the Spirit world, the Shadowlands, etc. Actually, I quite like Hellgate, so perhaps a gate to a nearby Land of the Dead as well. It doesn't have to be a proper Heaven/Hell/Hades type place, but perhaps the first stop in the journey the dead must take, and it's possible for mortals to travel there. I really like the Lost Souls in that book. I'd like to see them, or something like them.

That being said, while Gates could be common, they don't necessarily have to be easy to open.

Quote:
Gods
choose one
Other: No gods, per se, but many spirit beings. Some are powerful, possibly even very powerful. Most live in the Spirit World (or on one of the other planes) and perhaps can't leave that plane (or can only do so at certain times or if summoned). Some are able to pass through to the different worlds with relative ease, and may work with those spirits that are stuck; they would count as angels or demons. Or as a neutral spirit of some sort; we'd need a name--perhaps Elemental, but maybe with different types of Elements. Maybe use the Chinese elements here. When is that book coming out anyway?

Divine powers are possible, and arise in people who have bonded, perhaps literally, with such a spirit.