Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default [Space] System Generator

A friend and I were thinking about writing some code to automate the process of randomly creating a star system, as outlined in 4ed Space. I was looking at the .pdf with the planetary control sheet, and basically the idea is to try to make a program that has a bunch of fields on that .pdf, you enter what you want (e.g. Primary Star solar mass = 1.1 or garden world in system) and the program back engineers the rest just like you would do if you were doing the stuff on paper. Or you can just hit the random button and it does the whole thing for you.

What I was wondering was this.

1) Whats the legality of this? It involves a couple of copyrighted materials (GURPS Space 4th ed and the GM Planetary control sheet PDF.) Do I just have to put in some disclaimers, give credit, etc? Or it it verbotten, since it automates the process of two chapters of GURPS Space? If thats the case, what if I distributed it in a zipped file whose passcode to unlock it was the nth word of the kth page of GURPS space (or something equivalent)? I don't plan on selling this or anything, just figured if I'm gonna put in all the time and effort others should have the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

2) Has something like this already been done?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, system generation