Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #191
cmdicely

Default Re: [Space] System Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That could just as easily be considered ultra-religious versus more sectarian nations.
The historical link between economic development (and, particular, the strength of social safety nets and the wide distribution of wealth) and declining birth rates is fairly well established. Its much more likely that the divide between the US and Western Europe on natural population increase is due to the fact that the US has a narrower concentration of wealth than most Western European countries and a weaker social safety net than it is that it is due directly to social pressures from the religious community (now, certainly, a certain segment of the US religious community is closely tied to the political faction that actively works to maintain a narrow concentration of wealth and to keep the social safety net weak, so there is certainly not no link between religion and the comparatively high rate of natural growth.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #192
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I've asked and been told this numerous times, but I keep forgetting.
How do I change a read only file from open office, so I can use such wonderful share-ware?
(I would ask this on the geek forums, but I'm perma-banned, and this is technically on topic... technically.)
Have you tried saving a copy under a different file name and then messing with it? I'll DL Open Office real quick and try to reproduce the problem.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #193
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
The historical link between
Three year old post, man.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #194
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Have you tried saving a copy under a different file name and then messing with it? I'll DL Open Office real quick and try to reproduce the problem.
My girlfriend fixed it for me. Who knew her art degree classes would pay off? ;)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:27 PM   #195
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
A friend and I were thinking about writing some code to automate the process of randomly creating a star system, as outlined in 4ed Space. I was looking at the .pdf with the planetary control sheet, and basically the idea is to try to make a program that has a bunch of fields on that .pdf, you enter what you want (e.g. Primary Star solar mass = 1.1 or garden world in system) and the program back engineers the rest just like you would do if you were doing the stuff on paper. Or you can just hit the random button and it does the whole thing for you....
I'm bumping a really old thread. I may have missed it in the discussion (I found some dead links), but did this program ever get made and if so where is it?
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #196
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I'm bumping a really old thread. I may have missed it in the discussion (I found some dead links), but did this program ever get made and if so where is it?
This was the link I had, and it is doesn't work for me now either: ultima.vsos.ethz.ch:8080
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:59 AM   #197
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I don't know whether it's the same implementation as discussed originally in this thread, but the only starsystem generation project I know of can be found here: https://github.com/tschoppi/starsystem-gen
kreios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #198
Jinumon

I'm actually working on one right now. Currently it just generates all of the stars in the system and their stellar characteristics up through minimum and maximum separation. I'm coding it in Python and it's currently a little over 800 lines long. I haven't worked on it in a while, though. I'm currently working on an article I'm hoping to submit to Pyramid soon.

Jinumon

EDIT:
Here's a sample output of my program so far.
http://imgur.com/q61ri65

Last edited by Jinumon; 11-06-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #199
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I wonder if it's possible to get two planets in the liquid water zone?

I think it would require a close binary, and one would be mild and the other one hot/frozen...
Old 11-06-2016, 06:24 PM   #200
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
This was the link I had, and it is doesn't work for me now either: ultima.vsos.ethz.ch:8080
I believe this generator moved here.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space, system generation