Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Yami Fowl

Default [RPM] Golems

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask for some directions and opinions on how to rule out the creation of Golems for RPM.

While Familiars (due to their connection with their master) should be taken as allies (as prompted by RPM itself), I'd like to ask how would you guys rule the creation of a Golem.

I don't think Golems should be treated as allies, it doesn't sound Golem-like to grow in power with the wizard, but I don't see any other option as to how to create them.

Any suggestions?
DnD 3.5 on an original setting.
Planning a GURPS Sci-Fi Campaign.
Yami Fowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Golems

Ghostdancer has a modifier, Summoned, for use with RPM - you can find it in this blog post. A golem would be animated using this modifier and whatever duration worked for the mage. For a constant companion, weekly would probably work. For a guard of the mage's sanctum, monthly would suffice. For a more independent guard, yearly would be a good idea, and for an "eternal" guardian you'll need it to last for centuries, if not millennia.

EDIT: If you want them to cost points instead, you could still keep them at the same point total, becoming cheaper over time. This could result in oddities where the mage suddenly effectively gains several extra character points in a single session (due to crossing a point threshold) - you could easily avoid this by staggering out the price of Ally more (making it so that the mage instead simply effectively gains a single extra point every so many sessions).

Last edited by Varyon; 06-16-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Yami Fowl

Whoa, that modifier seems to fit it like a glove!

Perfect!

Thanks a lot!

Edit:

A question has risen, does having two or more different Golems (not eligible to Group Multiplier) violates Stacking Spells?

Last edited by Yami Fowl; 06-16-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami Fowl View Post
A question has risen, does having two or more different Golems (not eligible to Group Multiplier) violates Stacking Spells?
No, because the spells are cast on the golems, not the caster. It may be appropriate to count each such summon as taking up a Conditional Ritual, however.

Also, looking through my notes, I saw I had worked out energy costs for summons worth less than 25%, based on the rules from DF9: Summoners (which allows for really weak minions at fractional prices). A summon worth up to 5% would add 1 energy, one up to 10% would add 2 energy, and one up to 15% would add 3 energy. In theory, you might be able to allow summons worth 1% and lower to add 0 energy.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Pretty much everything Varyon said is solid. And let me know how you find the Summoned modifier and if it works for your games. I always appreicate play reports from others. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Yami Fowl

Seems interesting, and I like the concept of it taking a Conditional Spell Slot.

Btw, a little off-topic but I'd like to hear your opinions about this perk I devised:

Conditional Focus
You can elect one of your conditional spells (charms or elixirs) to be apart from the succession line. It will never be canceled due to a newer one being cast, but still counts as one used up slot.

It would allow a Wizard to never, by mistake, unsummon his Golem.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Seems interesting, and I like the concept of it taking a Conditional Spell Slot.

Btw, a little off-topic but I'd like to hear your opinions about this perk I devised:

Conditional Focus
You can elect one of your conditional spells (charms or elixirs) to be apart from the succession line. It will never be canceled due to a newer one being cast, but still counts as one used up slot.

Makes sense to me. As a leveled perk, it just means you can set aside a couple conditional slots to not be auto-dispelled by casting a new spell. Seems like something anybody who wants to max out their slots would buy at the first opportunity.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

Conditional Focus

I don't see anything wrong with it right off, it basically means for one specific spell you can't overcast and lose it. That seems balanced as long as it still occupies said slot. Actually, I don't think you should specify for the perk itself - just say that you can pick a spell and not lose that spell - since for a perk you could also just buy another Conditional Spell slot.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it right off, it basically means for one specific spell you can't overcast and lose it. That seems balanced as long as it still occupies said slot. Actually, I don't think you should specify for the perk itself - just say that you can pick a spell and not lose that spell - since for a perk you could also just buy another Conditional Spell slot.
Yeah that is how I would go to.
Already you can get an extra slot with a perk and that is often more useful.
This just saves book keeping which is a thing I like to encourage.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Conditional Focus
Honestly, I'd allow a Perk to let you always choose which conditional ritual to discard upon exceeding your limit. That is, with this Perk, the order in which you created the rituals/charms doesn't matter - upon creating a new one, you simply get to review your list and say "Yeah, I'll just get rid of that Speak with Plants charm."