Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #101
The_Ryujin

Default Re: GURB- The Generic Unoriginal Roleplaying Blog

GURPSday is once again upon us!

Power Cells, Batteries, Generators and Combustion Engines! It's time to give Power to the Players!

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #102
Kalzazz

I admit I don't quite follow it very well, some examples might help

For instance, I am TL 10, I have a 1300 watt heater, how many C cells do I need for my 1 month vacation to Hoth?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #103
Kalzazz

Okay I think I get it.

1300 watts over 1 hr = 1.3 kwh

1 kwh = 3600 kJ

1.3 kWh = 4680 kJ

TL 10 C cell = 360 kJ

So a C cell lasts .077 hours

13 C cells per hour

9360 C cells for the 1 month vacation

I need to pack a large bag
Old 11-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #104
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I admit I don't quite follow it very well, some examples might help

For instance, I am TL 10, I have a 1300 watt heater, how many C cells do I need for my 1 month vacation to Hoth?
I'll add some examples when I get home from hell...I mean work heh.

Your example is correct but to give you a simpler way to figure this while I'm on break, just take how many seconds you want run something with a power cell, multiple that by how many kiloWatts it needs to run and then divide it by the energy density of a given power cell. To run a 1.3kW what heater for 30 days you'd need 1.3x2,592,000 or a total of 3,369,600kW. A TL10 360kJ and so you'd need 3,369,600/360 or 9,360 cells. Probably better to get 10 F cells heh.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 11-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #105
Kalzazz

2000lbs of F cells for my heater!

Hmmm, I probably don't want to lug 2000lbs of power cells to Hoth (and 10 F cells costs 200,000 moneys)

So for my desire of powering a 1.3 kW heater, I could instead (at TL 10) just spend a cool 1300 moneys and 97.5 lbs on a 1.3 kW radiothermal generator?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #106
The_Ryujin

Quote:
2000lbs of F cells for my heater!

Hmmm, I probably don't want to lug 2000lbs of power cells to Hoth (and 10 F cells costs 200,000 moneys)

So for my desire of powering a 1.3 kW heater, I could instead (at TL 10) just spend a cool 1300 moneys and 97.5 lbs on a 1.3 kW radiothermal generator?
Pretty much, power cells are just really advanced capacitors. They excell at rapidly discharging power but don't hold much energy. Think of them like white muscle.

Power Cells: Good for when you need to discharge a lot of power NOW!
Batteries: Good when you got a relatively low power device that you need to power for a intermediate amount of time.
Combustion Engines: Good when need a lot of power and a intermediate endurance and have ready access to fuel.
Generators: Good when you need a lot of power for the long term or you are in an area that fuel is hard to come by.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #107
Kalzazz

Huh

So why do many items in UT run for many hours (or even longer) off a power cell?

It seems that a battery may be another option for my hypothetical camping trip to Hoth, 4 very large batteries will run 80 moneys and weigh 200lbs
Old 11-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #108
Kalzazz

I am guessing this means that Power Cells would be super awesome for jumpstarting cars when the battery is dead?

How do power cells compare to smokeless powder for storing energy? Old airplanes and tractors and things used to use shotgun based starting mechanisms, using smokeless powder instead of batteries

edit - Sadly I have no clue how many kilowatts or joules or anything is needed to jumpstart a Honda Civic
Old 11-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #109
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Huh

So why do many items in UT run for many hours (or even longer) off a power cell?

It seems that a battery may be another option for my hypothetical camping trip to Hoth, 4 very large batteries will run 80 moneys and weigh 200lbs
For two reasons, simplicity and the fact that a lot of those items are pretty low power. A battlesuit that gives a +10 ST bonus only needs in the neighborhood of 600watts at peak output and significantly less during over a long term average. That being said Ultra-Tech did kinda over inflate how long a suit can run for because they were based off of the one in the basic set which had its stats largely pulled from a hat.

Quote:
I am guessing this means that Power Cells would be super awesome for jumpstarting cars when the battery is dead?

How do power cells compare to smokeless powder for storing energy? Old airplanes and tractors and things used to use shotgun based starting mechanisms, using smokeless powder instead of batteries

edit - Sadly I have no clue how many kilowatts or joules or anything is needed to jumpstart a Honda Civic
I don't have the actual numbers but I belive a TL9 power cell has less energy density then gun powdered but TL10+ is on par or better.

Also sadly it's hard to figure out the exsact amount of watts needed to start a car but most jumper cables are designed for outputs of ~12v at 400amps which is 4.8 kiloWatts.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:41 AM   #110
The_Ryujin

GURPSday and Turkeyday on the same day?! Welp, time to serve up my readers an extra helping of crunchy goodness!

Need a TL12 Laser Rifle or a TL9 Particle Beam Blaster Cannon? Strapped for cash but still need that Plasma Gun Battery? TL9 power cells not quit cutting it to power your TL9 Lasers? Looks like you need a few more options...

Tags
blog, blogs, gurps day