Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Thomas

Default Does "0" on d10 mean level zero or level 10 for d10 ability rolls?

The rules for "d10 Power" (p. 15) state that one must "roll your level or less on the 10-sided die."

By a plain interpretation that zero means zero, that would imply that the roll becomes a certainty for level 9 characters.

However, the rules also say it "always works when you are 10th level". While this would be technically also true when interpreting zero as zero, the fact that it doesn't say it always works for 9th level seems to imply that "0" should be read as "10" rather than "0".

Yet I have not been able to find any clear statement to the effect that "0" should be equated to level "10" rather than to its face value of 0.

Is there something that I've missed (or some other ruling) that clears up the ambiguity?
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Cheese8242

Default Re: Does "0" on d10 mean level zero or level 10 for d10 ability rolls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
The rules for "d10 Power" (p. 15) state that one must "roll your level or less on the 10-sided die."

By a plain interpretation that zero means zero, that would imply that the roll becomes a certainty for level 9 characters.

However, the rules also say it "always works when you are 10th level". While this would be technically also true when interpreting zero as zero, the fact that it doesn't say it always works for 9th level seems to imply that "0" should be read as "10" rather than "0".

Yet I have not been able to find any clear statement to the effect that "0" should be equated to level "10" rather than to its face value of 0.

Is there something that I've missed (or some other ruling) that clears up the ambiguity?
Well its a gaming meta-rule in general that the '0' on a d10 stands for the number 10. But as you quoted from the rules that it says the d10 power always works when at level 10, the only way for that to be true and not true also for level 9 would be if the '0' stood for 10.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
bonetm

I guess most, if not all, RPGs use the 0s as 10s. So I guess most gamers already thing that way, so they forgot to put this simple information in the rules. But, as already said, treat 0 as 10. =)
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
The only thing you may be missing is what has been long understood by the gaming community at large, especially those of whom have been playing d10 based games. However, now's a perfect opportunity to discuss why that's a 0, and not a 10, like you'll see on most d20s and d12s. d10s are often used for percentile rolls, where 0 is actually 0, as well as 1-10 rolls, where 0 means 10. So, using 0 on the die, and assuming that it's 0 for percentile rolls and 10 for other rolls, you don't need 3 dice (just 2) for everything you might need to do in a game utilizing d10s (especially 1/e and 2/e AD&D).

At any rate, Munchkin Quest intends a 1-10 usage, so 0 = 10 unless otherwise specified.

I do agree, however, that this is something that needs to be clarified in the rules, as more and more players are coming to the game who don't have all the years of experience that someone like me might have.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10-sided die, d10 power