Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 07-14-2020, 08:27 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Body Horror and High Fashion

Imagine an artist that decides that they want to install functional male genitalia on their forehead to protest the emasculation of men by contemporary transhuman society. What societies on Earth would allow the artist to walk around with their forehead uncovered? Even the Duncanites might be offended by them walking around in public with their forehead uncovered.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:44 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Imagine an artist that decides that they want to install functional male genitalia on their forehead to protest the emasculation of men by contemporary transhuman society. What societies on Earth would allow the artist to walk around with their forehead uncovered? Even the Duncanites might be offended by them walking around in public with their forehead uncovered.
I can imagine it all right, and I think it fits somewhere in the mid-century avant garde image of a punk in THS. Or of any Tuesday on a Scum barge (oh wait, wrong setting!).

You never encountered any nudist culture, have you? Or been to a modern art museum?

How about cultures that sprang up from uplifts - do you think their native cultures would have the same historical coincidences that lead to the silliness about hiding one's body in the current cultural hegemony? What about human cultures that have been influenced by uplifts' memeplexes?

Nowadays even many hegemony-influenced cultures have no problem with exposing secondary sexual characteristics (face, breasts &c.). And THS on average is supposed to be much less comstockery than the modern world, especially than USA.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

Nowadays even many hegemony-influenced cultures have no problem with exposing secondary sexual characteristics (face, breasts &c.). And THS on average is supposed to be much less comstockery than the modern world, especially than USA.
It's not that simple. You're avant garde biopunk needs a liberal and interventionist government to suport his "rights". If he makes his statement in Duncanite territory he might find it's not the sort of thing they handle very well.

If he just gets the crap beat out of him, well he definitely gets his medical expenses but do you think he can even sue for pain and suffwering for having his srtwork cut off? Then there's cases where he gets sent back to Earth as cargo either alive or dead. Someone on Earth might want to do something about it but find out it wasn't too practical.

If he's sent as cargo to China he might not get even that much sympathy. The Caliphate too and that's if ddin't get charged with blasphemy.

Your premise that Transhuman Space is going to be like Europe except even more so is short-sighted. No doubt Europe will be more like Europe but everywhere? I don't think so.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #24
AlexanderHowl

Even the USA in 2100 is likely not liberal enough to tolerate uncovered genitalia outside of specific nudist events. Someone with such a feature would likely be charged as a sex criminal if they were uncovered in front of minors except in specific nudist events. For example, they could not come uncovered to a high school sporting event or a daycare without getting arrested.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:24 AM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's not that simple. You're avant garde biopunk needs a liberal and interventionist government to suport his "rights". If he makes his statement in Duncanite territory he might find it's not the sort of thing they handle very well.

If he just gets the crap beat out of him, well he definitely gets his medical expenses but do you think he can even sue for pain and suffwering for having his srtwork cut off? Then there's cases where he gets sent back to Earth as cargo either alive or dead. Someone on Earth might want to do something about it but find out it wasn't too practical.
Given that ancaps seem to be big on the non-aggression principle, I think his odds of most Duncanite judges siding with him are pretty good in Duncanite areas.

Quote:
If he's sent as cargo to China he might not get even that much sympathy. The Caliphate too and that's if ddin't get charged with blasphemy.

Your premise that Transhuman Space is going to be like Europe except even more so is short-sighted. No doubt Europe will be more like Europe but everywhere? I don't think so.
Fair point about the Caliphate as written. PRC in the THS timeline I'm not so sure about.

Quote:
Even the USA
I'm sceptical of using 'even' next to 'USA' when talking about such things. As far as decensoring goes, USA are not the world's trailblazer, and so are not a good benchmark to use for imagining a future world.

Thinking 100 years into the future, it's useful to check back and see what things were unthinkable and unspeakable a 100 years ago, but are either just somewhat controversial or even taken for granted nowadays. Now think about what things (especially liberties) are unspeakable (gaining an instant mob of boos) or unthinkable (almost nobody even has an opinions on those, because of how outlandish the mere thought is) today, and use that that as an inspiration for imagining just how different the world of 2100 would be.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 07-16-2020 at 04:28 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #26
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Given that ancaps seem to be big on the non-aggression principle, I think his odds of most Duncanite judges siding with him are pretty good in Duncanite areas.

Fair point about the Caliphate as written. PRC in the THS timeline I'm not so sure about.
e.
You are using "ancap" as shorthand for "anarcho-capitalist"? I've never seen that use before. I'm not sure the word means anything anyway.

I'd have higher emphasis on "interventionism" than soem non-agression principle. You're counting on something like a government upholding this guys right to continually offend his neighbors and if some place like Ceres was settled by people who thought the USA was telling them what to do too often and for whom Europe was an unbearable tyranny such a "right" won't be upheld. The defense can plead "provocation" and get the whole thing knocked down to economic damages.

Unless the PRC in question is vastly different from contemorary state of that name (and it's a fairly basic point of TS that it isn't) I'd expect your bio-punk to get get mandatory psychiatric chipping.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
You are using "ancap" as shorthand for "anarcho-capitalist"? I've never seen that use before. I'm not sure the word means anything anyway.
Yeah. DB12 describes Duncanites as anarchocapitalist. Ancaps, depending on strain, seem to treat the NAP as something between an axiom and a generally respectable important part of interaction frameworks.

Quote:
Unless the PRC in question is vastly different from contemorary state of that name (and it's a fairly basic point of TS that it isn't) I'd expect your bio-punk to get get mandatory psychiatric chipping.
Something this drastic (at least applied to full citizens) seems to be a thing THS largely restricts to Kazakhstan.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 07-16-2020 at 11:48 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #28
Proteus

Every time I read this thread title, I keep first seeing "ROCKY Horror and High Fashion."

It's just a jump to the left....
Old 07-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #29
AlexanderHowl

A transsexual transvestite from Transylvania could be an upstanding (and normal) citizen of the EU.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #30
Astromancer

Quote:
A transsexual transvestite from Transylvania could be an upstanding (and normal) citizen of the EU.
Especially if they can sing like Tim Curry.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote