Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #91
whswhs

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Let“s solve the antitrust lawsuit first.
The Reputation might well have an impact on the antitrust lawsuit.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #92
whswhs

Quote:
1. Then get the approval, you dont need to step-by-step reveal how to copy your drugs (?).
I think you really should look into how the Food and Drug Administration regulates new drugs, and what is required to gain approval. I say this not having done so in detail myself; but it seems relevant to what you are trying to describe, especially if you want to claim that it's "realistic" in some sense.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #93
Celjabba

When worldbuilding most SF/fantasy setting, there is a time when you have to acknowledge " this is impossible in the real world, but I need it for my story." The question you should ask yourself and us is not "how to make it possible" but "how to make it plausible".
My suggestions : either
-you reduce the scope of your megacorp and keep the high TL to a few secrets labs
-you switch the whole world history to something like the shadowrun setting with biotech replacing magic.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #94
Michele

Quote:
Sure, but now they play at home. Will the public love a few bombings perpetrated by the nation's own rulers in the most important US cities against an apparently peaceful corporation that provides them with dreamy medical technologies and treatments?
Probably. You forget that there will be an escalation. The FBI will come to pick up all the computers. If the corporation resists, there will be heavier guns involved, which will require the corporation to use its androids and robot vehicles. They win. Yikes! The supposedly friendly corporation is able to defeat the SWAT? With a firefight in the city? They are public enemy no. 1 actually, then! The worst enemy since the War of Independence. Please send in the army! The army finds it difficult to obliterate the corporation's premises? Let's leave the city and send in the USAF.

This will be the thinking of most citizens, but even if it's not, it will be the government to take decisions. And no US government is going to tolerate anybody having more military clout on US territory than the government itself, whatever the cost. It would be the end of both the government and the USA. They'll deal with civilian malcontents later, assuming there are any. The androids may be a threat, but the police, and if not that then the National Guard, can certainly handle collaborationist civilians.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #95
Alonsua
Banned

So the megacorp needs to have a U.S. president appointed. Okey, I will give it a thought and come back later with the specifics.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #96
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Infantry is not key to winning wars at TL8. Air superiority is key to winning wars at TL8. You can see that it the last seventy years of US military conflicts. In conflicts where the USA attempted to control territory with infantry (Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.), they lost or stalemated after years of being bogged down (the US is still in South Korea. In conflicts where the USA used air superiority to cause the submission of their enemies (the First Gulf War, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc.), the US was able to declare victory and pretty much handed things over to the UN to clean up.
The real estate consideration above still holds true.

The First Gulf War did use ground troops. It was fortunate that the important real estate could be traveled through and fought over with armored vehicles, but if the Iraqis had decided to resist in Kuwait City, infantry would have been necessary. That is, unless one considers as a victory handing back to the Kuwaitis a pile of air-force-made rubble. As to Baghdad, most pointedly the First Gulf War did not go there.

In the Serbian War, the NATO/OTAN forces weren't interested in taking the Serbian real estate, and the Serbians knew that very well. The air forces could bomb every last powerhouse and electric power plant and dam in the country, sending it back to windmills and oil lamps, since the bombing countries did not want to take those plants, or the country itself, for themselves. The Serbians understood the obvious thing to do.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #97
Donny Brook

Quote:
1. Then get the approval, you dont need to step-by-step reveal how to copy your drugs (?).
Safety authorities need to know what is in your products, how they work, and to actually test them. Drug regulators need that and more. They will keep trade secrets from your potential competitors but they themselves will know.

Quote:
3. Then I didnt understand the question.
The subject was the minority owners. I asked: "When did they become participants (particularly, before or after the merger, all in one sort of offering or over time)? What were the reasons for seeking them as shareholders, and what are their reasons and expectations for joining? Can you be more specific about the share percentages they hold?"

Your reply was: "The founders were shareholders from the beginning and currently hold 25%."

I don't see the room for misunderstanding. It seems more like you didn't take notice that there were several questions.

Quote:
4. Who provided what? The funding? By that level banks and investors were enough, and there is not much of a debt left, unless they get to ask the 6 trillion dollars out of the international community. If they get that money its about 6%.
I am compelled to think that you are reading my posts without regard to the prior posts between us. I find that frustrating.

Who provided the lines of credit in the amount of "hundreds of billions"? How many hundreds? How did the company go about getting these loans? How did they show lenders that revenue would reach $15B?

What was the average interest rate on those loans? (This is not a question of "if"; you stated as a fact that they had these lines of credit.)

How much is 'not much' left?

Quote:
5. Lets make it a supervoting structure then to get it easy.
Since you are the GM, it's a easy has waving your hands, and you are free to ignore the other concerns. But I thought you were asking about plausibility, and if so you need to take the other things I pointed out into account.

Quote:
6. Quick contest here.
Since you are the GM, you could resolve it however you like. I personally would not reduce a months-to-years long stratagem to a quick contest, but YMMV.

Edit: BTW, I don't recall seeing your solution for how to restrain 2,400,000 employees from letting secrets out.

Last edited by Donny Brook; 01-11-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #98
whswhs

Quote:
So the megacorp needs to have a U.S. president appointed. Okey, I will give it a thought and come back later with the specifics.
Presidents are not appointed, but elected. And that can be unpredictable; a lot of people were expecting Clinton to be in the White House now.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #99
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Presidents are not appointed, but elected. And that can be unpredictable; a lot of people were expecting Clinton to be in the White House now.
Bill's comment is fine but I want to head off ANY possible discussion of the recent election beyond the mere fact that it happened. His overall point, that Alonsua used the wrong term and that elections can have unexpected results, is fine.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #100
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
If the NATO budget really is 2 billion dollars, yes it could. Whats its budget? Is it 1 trillion dollars?
What could be termed "the NATO budget" is really money that goes into running joint assets (IOW the HQ in Belgium and stuff like that). NATO has 28 member states and 27 of them have their own military budgets.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Closed Thread