Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #31
John Brinegar

Default Re: New Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
  • Pedigree
  • Renown
  • Wealth
I would observe that these are not exactly talents in the sense of things that you can learn; they might make sense if taken as initial choices, but less so if taken later.
John Brinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #32
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brinegar View Post
I would observe that these are not exactly talents in the sense of things that you can learn; they might make sense if taken as initial choices, but less so if taken later.
The Count of Montecristo begs to differ...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #33
zot

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brinegar View Post
The Count of Montecristo begs to differ...
My feeling on things like this is that if they can grant consistent mechanical advantages, they should cost points and there are usually ways to rationalize characters getting them late in the game.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #34
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Well, it is not my game I am concerned about Chris; it is the game run by future neophyte GMs and Players, who, if they all end up taking this talent - and at IQ8 and 1 point, what newbie could resist - will miss out on so much added drama, tension, and fun.

It is those people I am concerned about with the inclusion of such a talent at such low IQ and cost.

If I was forced to include it in the rules-set, I would make the talent reflect *years* of specialized training, and seriously raise the IQ requirement *and* the cost - so it would be very rare among members of an adventure party.
I agree and posted earlier that I think if such a talent simply removes the need to ready a weapon, then it is mainly removing an interesting element of play for those characters.

And, I generally dislike all the things that remove elements of play. (e.g. High DX - yay, I almost always hit everyone I attack. Magic healing - poof, no one needs to rest. Magic Light or Dark Vision - poof, no one needs to worry about lighting. Magic Food - poof, no more food supply issues.) It makes improving your character make interesting parts of the game go away.

And, it shouldn't just remove all meaning from having your weapon ready or not. It should still be better to have a ready weapon than not.

Seems to me a DX penalty for attacking on the turn you fast-draw something would tend to work well. There could be levels of mastery that reduce the penalty, but I'd never have it go away entirely. Maybe start at -5 or -6 for the first level of the talent, and let people dump points into it to reduce the penalty.

Of course, there should be some consideration for the type of weapon. One or more of the classic "TFT is broken" articles was about people abusing the fast-draw ability included in Thrown Weapons to have people with many boomerangs, nets and bolas using them every turn (sigh). Can someone quick-draw a crossbow, load and shoot it in one turn? Can they fire a bow twice per turn?

Also, should the talent apply to all weapons, or do you need to train it in each weapon type, as in GURPS?
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #35
Cromarty

A new skill I'd suggest is "Riposte"

Prerequisites: Sword and Fencing

If the character with the skill chooses the "Defend" option, each time they are attacked and the attacker misses they may immediately make a counterattack, also rolling 4 dice vs DX.

This makes the idea of a skilled "counterpunching" or "counterstriking" swordsman viable (Think about Inigo Montoya vs the six-fingered man in the Princess Bride)
Cromarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #36
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi JLV, everyone.
Oh, maybe? Want to weigh in Chris?
I think you're being excessively hostile here.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:17 PM   #37
Rick_Smith

Quote:
... I wasn't thinking just simple membership, I was thinking ranking membership -- I'll edit the post for that. Ranking membership in an influential organization should cost at least 1 talent point to represent the work it takes to get there. ...
Hi Zot, everyone.
This is an interesting idea. To gain high ranks in a hierarchy, it costs you an experience 'block' to gain.

This is a bit like GURPS spending character points to gain the advantages of military rank, ecclesiastical rank, etc. (Of course, I think in GURPS if you earn it thru roleplaying, you get the advantage for free.) Perhaps if you pay an experience block, you get fast tracked for promotion? Would you have to pay 2 experience blocks to fast track to the second level, and 3 for the third level? How do you see this working?

Zot, you might want to start a new thread of other uses for experience to discuss this idea and others like it.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:23 PM   #38
Rick_Smith

>> Rick Wrote:
>> "Oh, maybe? Chris would you like to weigh in?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I think you're being excessively hostile here.
Hi JLV,
No hostility was intended. I had not considered the idea that you brought up and considered it possible, (tho certainly not certain from what Chris had said). I asked Chris, and he was kind enough to clarify.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:11 PM   #39
JLV

Roger that Rick; I later read his response, which was calm and well-reasoned. And your response to same. It just seemed like you were getting very defensive there and I was concerned that we were pushing past the cooperative stage here...

My apologies for the misunderstanding.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #40
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Zot, everyone.
This is an interesting idea. To gain high ranks in a hierarchy, it costs you an experience 'block' to gain.

This is a bit like GURPS spending character points to gain the advantages of military rank, ecclesiastical rank, etc. (Of course, I think in GURPS if you earn it thru roleplaying, you get the advantage for free.) Perhaps if you pay an experience block, you get fast tracked for promotion?
Actually I'm thinking it's the opposite of a fast track -- moving up in an organization (usually) takes time and effort and the talent point represents all the effort you have put into it, just like when you "spend time studying" for any other talent.