Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #11
JLV

Default Re: TFT or Dungeon Fantasy. False dichotomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
The way I'd summarize it (as an outsider/spectator, of course): DFRPG sales weren't all bad – but weren't good enough.

Here's hoping Melee/Wizard will fall firmly within "good enough" (to make $$$ and ensure reprinting). With its simpler rules and presentation, maybe it'll hit a sweet spot in the market...
I hear ya, and am hitting the knees every night praying for success! I think TFT is a wonderful game (I know, we all do, or we wouldn't be on here talking about it) with tremendous accessibility, especially for new folks or folks like me that don't have the time or inclination to learn 700 pages of core rules and just want to play...!

Certainly it was good enough to go head-to-head with D&D back in the day and come in second in total sales for two years running (if memory serves). I think the logic of play, and the ease of grasping the rules was the real appeal here; and it was definitely a gateway drug for many, many players from back then. Though, had it not gone tango uniform for 35 years, it might not have had to be a "gateway drug," and instead might STILL be at least #2 in sales... ;-)

Hopefully there are enough of us old heads and enough intrigued newbies out there to pull this off.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard