Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 04-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Jeffr0

Default Outrider

Okay; tell me about this.

Print & play...? Yeah?

Has anyone here played this, yet?

How does it compare to Wreckage and/or Wings of War?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Balrog

Default Re: Outrider

I ordered it yesterday. I had some problems with my e23 account so I'm still awaiting a reply, and do not have the pdf's.

It was my fault, but I hope things work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
I have never played either of these games, or even knew of thier existence, so I couldn't begin to compare them.

I did look at their website and a few things really encouraged me, to at least check it out was...
  • The game was made specifically to be used with matchbox, by attaching a blank (Maneuver?) card to the toy car.
  • Using matchbox cars leaves a wide variety of car types that are available.
  • There are a number of links, on his website, that have companies that deal with add-on pieces for cars (such as weapons, armour, ram plates etc.) and pedestrians and motorcycles.
  • Even using matchbox cars the potential for using them like miniatures, for painting and adding parts, is there, if your into that sort of thing.
  • There are enough "modules" that are in the works that expand the game to include other cool things that can be incorporated into your game. They seem to be set-up that you can pick and play between them. (Modules such as adding new types of weapons, new types of vehicles, city rules, pedestrian rules etc.)
  • The combination between using dice and cards seem cool and will have to see how well the mesh together.
  • I've always thought about using cards, instead of measurement tools, to move the car about and fire on enemies, Outrider does this and it appears that it makes it easier for movement to happen simultaneously.
  • The module that deals with damaging stationary objects, like houses.
  • Each module expands the rules, slowly and for very specific things, makes the learning curve that much easier. It reminds me of Carrcassone in the way that game introduced expansions.
  • Modules forthcoming that add a third dimension for terrian.
  • Adding cards to make hits and maneuvering that more in depth, in what seems a simple way, is encouraging.
  • The inclusion of a simple set of rules that can be taught quickly and keep games around an hour, makes it easier to teach and play with new players.

The bad... sort of...
  • The scale really limits as to what you can do. Not so much of a problem if your OK with playing on the floor rather than a table, or have access to a large conference style table.
  • The use of multiple types of dice beyond a d6. This is just a niggling, personal taste, but from what I can surmise it'll probably turn into a plus.
  • So far, it seems as there is no module planned for air units.
  • Not a pdf guy, but most of the pages you need access to a colour printer, or get them printed a Kinko's etc. can prove to be expensive.
  • The suggestion of using card sleeves looks as though it'll subtract enjoyment, rather than enhance.
  • From what I can tell, the car types themselves follow more of the route of Car Wars 5e (Having cars, and their abilities, as static types.) rather than the ability to create your own individual type of car. This maybe proven wrong after reading the rules, but from what I've read it doesn't appear so. Maybe it was done this way to easily keep balance amongst different kinds of vehicles.
  • It doesn't appear that speed variation, of your vehicle, to other vehicles, is explained unless you buy future "modules".

Those are without even looking at the game. I could probably add more positives and negatives (Or, alter some of my positives or negatives.) once I've read the rules. Knowing there is no more new Car Wars games on the horizon, this, so far, seems like a game that I could get into.

Once I have the game, I'll try to post more of my thoughts.

Last edited by Balrog; 04-19-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
aquilaprime

Wreckage and WoW are the comparisons I get the most ... and Outrider is certainly designed to be a 'lighter' game, like these titles.

It does contain a fair amount of abstraction, mostly in regards to scale and is turn/initiative based as opposed to a simultaneous system. Players use a combination of maneuver cards and actions to 'program' what they want to do that turn and then it is resolved - the more you stack on your driver, the more likely you will not complete everything. The core mechanic of the game/design is finding ways to mitigate/offset the dice and find the right moments to press your luck, as the way the vehicle templates and design constarints work, you will always be managing some weakness (do you want to be fast/weak or tough/slow, that sort of thing) you can tweak the cars to fit the scenario and team play is essential, as most scenarios are based around a 'convoy' theme.

If you have specific questions, contact me at dicefestgames@gmail.com

-Gregg, DFG

Quote:
Okay; tell me about this.

Print & play...? Yeah?

Has anyone here played this, yet?

aquilaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Jeffr0

My first session report is here.

In a nutshell: this game beats the pants off of Wings of War and Wreckage. There's just no comparison.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
aquilaprime

Quote:
My first session report is here.

In a nutshell: this game beats the pants off of Wings of War and Wreckage. There's just no comparison.
Great write up. Having run many demos at game/comic stores, I am always amazed at the 'curb appeal' of the game. There have been many sessions where some looker-on will jump in the next game and school us all(!)
Old 05-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
thudthwacker

Great write-up, good sir. There's nothing that speaks nearly as well of a new game as having a long-time gamer getting excited about it.
thudthwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Balrog

I'm looking forward to playing this game. I just gotta find people who would like to play.

Am I the only one that didn't get a dirt/paved corner?

Last edited by Balrog; 05-23-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #8
aquilaprime

check to see if your terrain.pdf is version 1.3 or later (the current version is 1.4) these should contain all variants of the paved/dirt tiles, including the buildings. Older terrain pdfs just contain paved surfaces only.

If you need the file, I can point you to one easily.

-G, DFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
I'm looking forward to playing this game. I just gotta find people who would like to play.

Am I the only one that didn't get a dirt/paved corner?