Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #1791
Anaraxes

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Superpowers are now the subject of national polls. How closely do those percentages match your games, or comic books?

Quote:
Nearly three in ten Americans (29%) wish they could travel in time. The ability to read people’s minds comes in second with 20% followed by the ability to fly (17%), the ability to teleport (15%), and invisibility (12%). Five percent do not want any of these super powers, and 3% are unsure.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-cont...14,%202018.pdf
Of course, the usual reasons for polls are political, to reveal the advisability of actions like revealing your super-soldier program, or commercial, to do some market research for the most profitable genetic engineering applications. Given the success of 23AndMe, can MutatesRUs.com be far behind? Who, exactly, commissioned this poll?

Quote:
When reported in 2011, a nearly identical proportion of Americans (28%) said they wanted to time travel
Sh'yeah, like it's not the same same time-traveller willing to risk overlapping himself stacking the polls in both years. Didn't these guys learn anything from script kiddies and Internet polls? I thought Marist were professionals.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #1792
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Japanese man wins custody of 13 kids born to Thai surrogates

Other reports state that he's hoping to have a hundred children.

So... this seems so much like a cyberpunk/super villain opening gambit, but what's the end-game?
I think that depends entirely on how he genetically engineered them, right?
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #1793
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Superpowers are now the subject of national polls. How closely do those percentages match your games, or comic books?

Quote:
Nearly three in ten Americans (29%) wish they could travel in time. The ability to read people’s minds comes in second with 20% followed by the ability to fly (17%), the ability to teleport (15%), and invisibility (12%). Five percent do not want any of these super powers, and 3% are unsure.
I have the sneaking suspicion that mind-reading would be one of the most popular powers to return for a refund, once people had it for long.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #1794
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I have the sneaking suspicion that mind-reading would be one of the most popular powers to return for a refund, once people had it for long.
I always vote flying because being a Ythrian sounded cool. Telepathy just sounded creepy.

I would like to have some Bene Geserit power over my body so I can tell it to sleep when I want and wake when I want or whatever.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #1795
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I'll take healing. All the healing. I have far too many friends who are suffering from lingering injuries or metabolic disorders.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #1796
Flyndaran
Untagged

Time traveling could let you travel to the future and just bring back all the cures. Far more dangerous, I think, but nearly every other power could be simulated with time travel.
Super intelligence and time could also simulate most other powers. If it's possible biologically, then it must be possible technologically.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #1797
tshiggins

Quote:
It's one of the powers I'd want most, but I'd want the ability to focus only on the people I want to read, and to turn it off and on, at will.

I want to read only the minds of certain people at certain times, and not everybody, all the time. That would suck.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #1798
Flyndaran
Untagged

Read already implies active attention. It's if you heard everyone's thoughts that would cause the most hassle.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #1799
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
It's one of the powers I'd want most, but I'd want the ability to focus only on the people I want to read, and to turn it off and on, at will.

I want to read only the minds of certain people at certain times, and not everybody, all the time. That would suck.
There's one caveat I think any would-be mind-reader should have in mind before he or she uses the power: "Don't ask the question unless you're prepared to deal with the answer."
Old 03-23-2018, 03:53 AM   #1800
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Read already implies active attention. It's if you heard everyone's thoughts that would cause the most hassle.
Not necessarily. Consider the experiment where people are told to just name the colours of the following words:

RED, BLUE, YELLOW, PURPLE.

Many people get tripped by this trick, even though it would supposedly imply needing active attention to the writing and not just the colour of the pixels.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox