Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #71
David Johnston2

Default Re: Static vs. Mind Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
In fact, I've argued that too. If the IA gets the Power Modifier, then it should be trumped by the anti-power. My suggestion when this came up the first time* was to halve the PM discount for such an IA, to account for the antipowers only being able to stop it at the source.[/SIZE]
It doesn't work that way. While it's slightly harder in theory to mess with your innate attack than your telepathy or your malediction, it's also true that people can dodge innate attacks, and get specialized DR against it and it's just a plain 5% to let the GM occasionally mess with your powers.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #72
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial666 View Post
Is "Static" something that DR or protected sense defend from?

Because if it isn't then wouldn't Immunity: Static be possible?
Or a close-range reflexive neutralize that only works vs static.
You can't get Immunity: Static because Static doesn't have a resistance roll. Neutralize works so far as I can see.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #73
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Neutralize works so far as I can see.
If someone took a PM (on their Static) that had an anti-power, it could be done. That's a bit unusual, but okayed in Powers. Allowing it otherwise is a little strange to me. Timing issues can come up that I find easier to ignore by just ruling they don't affect each other if they are both wild (or both part of a 0% Anti-power PM).
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #74
kirbwarrior

Static already trumps one of the best attack modifiers out there; Malediction. Giving Static even more boost against powers makes it far too easy to just take anti-powers whenever you can.

My biggest point with this is I often see magic as it's own anti-power, where spells like Static and Neutralize are part of wizard arsenals. With Static being that good, every wizard will get it when they can because with Discriminatory why not? It might sound like a lot in a 150pt campaign but it would be downright everywhere in a 500+ campaign (where wizard masters cause epics and myths).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:29 AM   #75
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Static already trumps one of the best attack modifiers out there; Malediction. Giving Static even more boost against powers makes it far too easy to just take anti-powers whenever you can.

My biggest point with this is I often see magic as it's own anti-power, where spells like Static and Neutralize are part of wizard arsenals. With Static being that good, every wizard will get it when they can because with Discriminatory why not? It might sound like a lot in a 150pt campaign but it would be downright everywhere in a 500+ campaign (where wizard masters cause epics and myths).
Even with Discriminatory, you can't possess the powers you have Static against. Thus, a eizard/mage can NEVER have Static (Magic).
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #76
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Static doesn't trump Malediction, it works against a source. Psi Static won't do anything against a magical Malediction. LIS, I probably wouldn't allow non-limited Static in a game with only one source for powers.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #77
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Even with Discriminatory, you can't possess the powers you have Static against. Thus, a eizard/mage can NEVER have Static (Magic).
I think you are confusing Psi Static with Magic Resistance.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #78
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I think you are confusing Psi Static with Magic Resistance.
No, I'm not. Magic Resistance has its own enhancement to allow a mage to possess it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers p98
Discriminatory: Your Static only interferes with hostile powers. Friendly abilities and artifacts func- tion totally unimpeded on you and within your area of effect (although you still can’t possess powers you can negate). The definitions of “friendly” and “hostile” are up to you, and can fluctuate from second to second. If you have Area Effect, Discriminatory replaces Selective Area. +150%.
Thus, no mage/wizard can EVER have Static (Magic) to protect themselves against other mage/wizard types.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #79
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Thus, no mage/wizard can EVER have Static (Magic) to protect themselves against other mage/wizard types.
That's strange. I thought that, with Switchable, you can have the power, but can't use it when your shield is up. But I can't think of where that would be. Since Static: Magic (Magical -10%) doesn't seems to work, how would you build Static for a mage to learn as a spell-power?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #80
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That's strange. I thought that, with Switchable, you can have the power, but can't use it when your shield is up. But I can't think of where that would be. Since Static: Magic (Magical -10%) doesn't seems to work, how would you build Static for a mage to learn as a spell-power?
Cosmic: Can have Magic powers +50%.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malediction-proof, protected sense, static