Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Maximum7

Default Which of these technologies (listed below) can work in Star Wars?

Basically I’m workshopping science and tech and I would like an opinion on whether these things are doable in the Star Wars galaxy based on existing tech that we already know of in Legends or Canon. Write yes (which means it can easily be done) or write no (meaning it would take scientists some effort to create). You can write a little explanation as to why if you wish. I will provide some info for each. Some are self explanatory.

1.) Optical neurons- Optical computing with the creation of a computer that has artificial neurons.

2.) Virtual offspring- Creating a sentient being that grows and lives in a computer program

3.) Droid-Human hybrid- Created in vitro

4.) Dream linking- Linking sentients dreams

5.) Hyperneurons- Artificial neurons with billions time the processing power of regular neurons. Help to increase memory due to enhanced longevity.

6.) Gel computing- Computing with a gel substance medium

7.) Smart bacteria

8.) Universal snakebite antidote- Can cure any snake bite from the trillions of snake species in the galaxy.

9.) Being able to see photons

10.) Reaction-less Drive

11.) Gene splicing human consciousness into plants

12.) Computer that displays thoughts

13.) Guided reciprocating deflector shield- Shield that bounces laser blasts back.

14.) Synthetic life kit - A DIY life creation kit

15.) An entire Artificial continent grown by genetically modified coral

Last edited by Maximum7; 09-11-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Maximum7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Which of these technologies (listed below) can work in Star Wars?

Wookiepedia would be a good place to start for a list of existing SW technologies.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Varyon

I’ll give a few of these a shot. I should note I know very little of the canon that isn’t either in the movies or in a few video games.

2) Probably not. The only AI we see are droids, and those seem to be inseparable from their hardware (Solo spoiler: [fnord] when L3-37 is destroyed, Lando has to permanently install her neural core into the Millennium Falcon to merge the two, rather than being able to just upload her). Note you could make a droid “child,” as droids can learn and change if you don’t wipe their memories from time to time.

3) Yes... sorta. I know you could speedgrow a child, like the clone troopers, and extensive cybernetics are certainly possible (see General Grievous and, to a lesser extent, Darth Vader). Combining the two, you could make a to-order cyborg, with at least some of the augmentations being linked to a droid (who’s neural core would be in one of the augmentations). The question is how the two would communicate - a Metal Gear Solid style “bone phone” would allow them to speak silently, and literally being combined from birth would let them operate almost like a single entity, but may not be what you want when you say “hybrid.” If they can communicate on a deeper level - a human using an integrated droid neural core as though it were another part of his brain, say - that would certainly count, but I’m unaware of anything like that in canon.

8) No. “Important person will die unless you find this super-rare substance to use to make an antidote” adventures are far too in-genre to allow a shortcut like this. Note this is less a technological restriction than a narrative one.

10) Maybe. It’s physically possible in the setting - see Leia’s Mary Poppins impersonation in Last Jedi - but may be appropriate to restrict to those who are force sensitive, which technology can’t duplicate.

12) If you can make a “true” hybrid in case 3, yes, although it may require a neural implant. If you can’t, probably a no.

13) Yes, provided you can make a droid that thinks fast enough to reangle the shields. Shields are already able to bounce blaster bolts, so it should be possible to aim the bounce (Jedi pull this off with their lightsabers due to precognition, but sufficiently fast reflexes should be able to manage as well). Note, however, this probably only works against relatively weak bolts - shields seem to absorb antiship bolts rather than deflecting them.
Do note blasters aren’t lasers, although they’re sometimes referred to as such (I think the explanation for the poor nomenclature is something like “turbolasers use lasers to heat up the tibanna gas).
Old 09-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
Varyon

Bah, should’ve hit preview to make certain I closed off that fnord tag. I’d edit it in, but that privilege is currently in hock. Apologies for the spoiler.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

#15 feels very much within the realm of star wars. They should be able to do some genetic tinkering, and the result is oh so star wars.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
Anders

Star Wars definitely is a universe that runs on "Rule of Cool".
Old 09-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #7
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
No, that's the domain of the Force.

Quote:
5.) Hyperneurons- Artificial neurons with billions time the processing power of regular neurons. Help to increase memory due to enhanced longevity.
That would fit Star Trek technobable more, I think.

Quote:
Probably, but why ?

Quote:
8.) Universal snakebite antidote- Can cure any snake bite from the trillions of snake species in the galaxy.
Unlikely, but not impossible.
A pharma-droid able to synthetise 6 millions forms of anti-venom is more fitting.

Quote:
10.) Reaction-less Drive
Yes. The Repulsor lift, for one.

Quote:
13.) Guided reciprocating deflector shield- Shield that bounces laser blasts back.
Yes

Quote:
Non-sapient : very likely as a child toy for some species !

Quote:
Yes, definitively.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
David Johnston2

[QUOTE=Maximum7;2284554Basically I’m workshopping science and tech and I would like an opinion on whether these things are doable in the Star Wars galaxy based on existing tech that we already know of in Legends or Canon. Write yes (which means it can easily be done) or write no (meaning it would take scientists some effort to create). You can write a little explanation as to why if you wish. I will provide some info for each. Some are self explanatory.

1.) Optical neurons- Optical computing with the creation of a computer that has artificial neurons.
[/QUOTE]

That actually might be how droids actually work. They have very humanlike intelligence.

Quote:
2.) Virtual offspring- Creating a sentient being that grows and lives in a computer program
Probably not. Artificial personhood seems to be the product of having a mobile body in Star Wars.

Quote:
3.) Droid-Human hybrid- Created in vitro
No.

Quote:
Probably not without some brain surgery to implant some electrodes.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
It's the kind of thing I could see in an isolated culture like Kamino with divergent technology.

Quote:
7.) Smart bacteria
Trivia note. That was Lucas's concept for what the Whills were.

Quote:
No. A single antidote isn't going to cover all hemotoxic and neurotoxic venoms

Quote:
9.) Being able to see photons
Don't we all do that anyway?

Quote:
10.) Reaction-less Drive
Already standard.

Quote:
11.) Gene splicing human consciousness into plants
What would be the point? Star Wars would already have plants with human consciousness as aliens.

Quote:
12.) Computer that displays thoughts
With brain surgery, sure.

Quote:
Doesn't sound unreasonable.

Quote:
Wildly beyond any biological technology we've ever seen in Star Wars.

Quote:
Doesn't seem like a problem.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 09-12-2019 at 01:57 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #9
RyanW

Realistic answer:

Does the writer need this to exist for his planned plot? Then yes.
Does the writer need this to not exist for his planned plot? Then no.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
DeadParrot

2: Depends on if droids are considered sentient.

7: Depends on definition of Smart Bacteria. Doubtful a single cell could be intelligent. Now a hive mind of billions of cells linked by the Force might be possible.

8: No. The antidote for the bite of the Giant Crusher snake on planet Gobble 1 would involve being able to reassemble the mush of the former being that just got bit and crushed to goo. The antidote for the bite of the Searing Plasma snake on Voodoo 2 would have to capture the escaped gases after the victim explodes in plasma fire from the atomic level reaction started by the bite.

9: Pretty much how the Mark I eyeball works.

11: Probably. Folks are already doing Human/Monkey gene splicing today so given the tech advances of SW, would have to assume Human/Plants possible there.

14: Yes. Pretty close to artificial bacteria today on Earth so can't imagine not being able to do it in the SW universe.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science, science fiction, star wars, tech, technology