Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-10-2018, 10:51 AM   #71
Boge

Default Re: Do you have any special rules/restrictions to regulate character advancement paci

Regardless, I believe our GM doesn't like the idea of increasing IQ. So the question is still "How have you found your players handling this limitation with their character building and progression?" (ATT and skill limits)

Have you found any complications with it? Have you found your players complaining about anything with it? Have you found them creating or progression their characters in any patterns?
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #72
tanksoldier

Default Re: Do you have any special rules/restrictions to regulate character advancement paci

If he doesn’t allow IQ increases he shouldn’t allow any other attribute increases either.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #73
Lord Azagthoth

In BS it is mentioned you could increase ST by training and HT depend on your lifestyle (healthy food which costs more money, Tech Level of medical care, exercisis, etc.).

But recently they have discovered there is no such difference between physiological/physical and psychological/mental features. Its all pysiological/physical.

So if a player can explain why he should be allowed to increase IQ (say he spends a few hours everyday in training his brains with different kinds of excercises), the GM could allow him to increase mental attributes up to the physical limitation of his (the character's) species, set by the GM, campaign setting or worldbook.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:36 AM   #74
Boge

I can't see a mentally retarded person improving their intelligence to Albert Einstein levels. So, there must be some kind of limitations to that represented in Gurps. To a limited extent, I can see someone improving their dexterity, quite possibly their health through diet and exercise, and then obviously their strength could be improved.

(Pardon any offenses I might say by using this term as I'm not up to date on what's appropriate these days.)

My concern is that the GM will have that limitation, no IQ advancement (he's pretty stubborn) and the players will catch on and just start their characters with the maximum. If we can improve the others in time, it seems the best option for long term development would be to maximize that one or two stats that aren't allowed during play. This would be especially the case if there was a 1 point per session maximum spent on a particular trait or skill.

I'm wondering if any of you that have limitations have experienced such results.
Boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #75
tanksoldier

Quote:
I'm wondering if any of you that have limitations have experienced such results.
If he's only allowing 1pt/ session it will take 20 sessions to raise IQ by 1 anyway.

Quote:
I can't see a mentally retarded person improving their intelligence to Albert Einstein levels
Except GURPS IQ covers more than that. It covers general life experience and what D&D defins as Wisdom, and what old school Traveller defines as Education.

Skills that default to IQ assume the character might have seen it done once, or read about it OR just be able to figure it out... without explaining which.

Assuming that a lower than average IQ score in GURPS is automatic mental retardation is narrow minded to the point of being obtuse.

...and even someone who WAS mentally deficient might improve their mental capacity slightly by working hard at it.

It takes 20 CP to improve IQ by 1... no normal person is going to raise their IQ by much in a human lifetime.

Lastly, this is a game. If you want realism, be sure to track the character's real jobs, mortgage payments, roll to be afflicted with a cold or the flu. You could spend a game session per year doing their taxes.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-11-2018 at 07:52 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #76
Lord Azagthoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge View Post
I can't see a mentally retarded person improving their intelligence to Albert Einstein levels.
Albert Einstein wasn't that more intelligent than other intelligent people. He had fewer boundaries of what a mind can imagine. If the boundaries are gone, you'll be committed to a mental hospital. It's a thin line between genius and madness.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:09 AM   #77
VonKatzen
Banned

It depends on the game but I tend to prefer using only training (counting 'adventuring' as training for certain skills) to advance skills and advantages (and physical training from Back to School for ST). Along with some attribute normalization (nothing over 15) and skill maintenance this pretty well curbs anything getting too out of hand.
VonKatzen is offline   Reply With Quote