Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2017, 03:08 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Second soul that can take over in some situations

Hello everyone!

So I've wondered how the hell I should stat the following situation:

Civvie character is host for a second soul that can take over his body. The second sould has his best interests in mind, but doesn't share the 1st character's inhibitions when it comes to killing. And then, the having two souls thing make the composite character more resilient to mind control as one would need to mind control both souls to effectively MC the character, as if one could is under MC it fights against it and can't control the body. So if the second soul is MC'ed, the character gets his inhibitions against killing back but can at least run or patch allies up with the First Aid skill or whatever.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:14 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Second soul that can take over in some situations

Switchable Compartimented mind, with 'no kill' as a temporary disad limitation , and iirc there is a limitation, only to fight/resist mind control ?

Last edited by Celjabba; 12-21-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Oh, this is certainly alternate form. I don' remember where its been done, but it does appear in an official work, probably a pyramid. The alternate form doesn't actually change the physical traits, only the mental ones.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
AlexanderHowl

I would suggest looking at Spirit Vessels in Thaumatology (pp. 211-214). They are just another type of Altered Form, though they are mental transformations rather than physical transformations, though they do give physical traits. They are expensive, but they are powerful.

What you are suggesting would probably require Altered Form with Reflexive and Reduced Time 2. The Altered Form would have Compartmentalized Mind (Resistance to Mind Control Only, -80%). The only question would be what else would the spirit possess?

I would suggest a warrior spirit that grants +2 ST, +2 DX, and +2 HT. I would also give the spirit 80 points of advantages, disadvantages, skills, and techniques related to combat. It would probably be a 160 point template.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
PK

Does the second soul change any of the character's traits besides mental disadvantages? If not, I'd say this is Compartmentalized Mind (Mental Separation Only; Temporary Disadvantage, Split Personality).

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #6
Celjabba

Full build :
Compartmentalized Mind [28]
Temporary disadvantage : Pacifism, cannot kill -15%
Mental separation only, -80%
Reflexive, +40%
Switchable, +10%

Remove Reflexive to drop the price to [10], but you need a ready action to switch it on/off in case of attack.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Full build :
Compartmentalized Mind [28]
Temporary disadvantage : Pacifism, cannot kill -15%
Mental separation only, -80%
Reflexive, +40%
Switchable, +10%

Remove Reflexive to drop the price to [10], but you need a ready action to switch it on/off in case of attack.
I don't think you need Switchable on this. Switchable is only necessary for advantages that have potentially inconveniencing or obvious effects when they're on by default, which I don't think Compartmentalized Mind does, and in any case, pretty much any limitation that implies a drawback to usage, such as Costs Fatigue or, in this case, Temporary Disadvantage, already makes the advantage switchable - you don't have to pay extra points to be able to turn off an advantage that you've added drawbacks to using.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #8
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Would there be any differences effects-wise between psychology-based 2nd personalities and mysticism-based 2nd souls in terms of some magic which targets souls affecting the latter but not former?
If so, I think the differences should be reflected in power modifiers rather than more explicit limitations.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
Celjabba

Such as an Avada Kedavra ... If the setting have such, it may make sense to have a further power modifier limitation on the ability.

Last edited by Celjabba; 12-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I don't think you need Switchable on this. Switchable is only necessary for advantages that have potentially inconveniencing or obvious effects when they're on by default, which I don't think Compartmentalized Mind does, and in any case, pretty much any limitation that implies a drawback to usage, such as Costs Fatigue or, in this case, Temporary Disadvantage, already makes the advantage switchable - you don't have to pay extra points to be able to turn off an advantage that you've added drawbacks to using.
Temporary Disadvantage is not listed in Power among the limitation making an advantage switchable, but I would agree with you if I was the GM. Cost become [23]. Still quite expensive for the effect..