Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 AM   #81
kreios

Default Re: [Blog] n-Body Politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Whoops, should of been more clear. Yeah, Spaceships 20sec scale. The tanks full mass would be almost all railgun if it fired at ROF 1 heh.
Another Spaceships granularity issue, seeing as modern main cannons can fire about five times as often.

Quote:
Just ran the numbers again and I made a mistake. 30lbs is how much a round would weigh if it was a full sized medium battery, I forgot to reduce the weight for the round for being very rapid fire! It should weigh only 1.5lbs per shot.
That makes much more sense. Thanks also for the reverse-engineered weapon stats, although I might end up using 3e Vehicles for that instead.
kreios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #82
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantry Combat: 3e Style
Since I disliked a few things about the 4e results from last time, I was thinking - why not use the original values (damage and armour) from 3e, for which THS was written? Would that turn out better?

Exactly copying the scenario from last time, we’ll again have four soldiers in non-powered armour facing one battlesuit-armoured soldier.
Continue reading...
Old 04-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #83
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreios View Post
Another Spaceships granularity issue, seeing as modern main cannons can fire about five times as often.
Yeah, the weird thing is that energy weapons scale perfectly at ROF 1.

For example a major battery beam weapon for a SM+5 ship is 10mJ. This gives 2×cube root of (10,000kJ) or ~43.08d of damage (rounded of to 4d dDamage) for lasers which in will weigh (43.08/3)^3 or 2,963lbs. A single SM+5 system weighs 3,000lbs so that's a perfect fit.

But things get a little wonky with guns. At SM+5 I get ~58.9mJ of muzzle energy with velocity of 2mps which drops down to ~14mJ with a velocity of only 1mps which makes it seem like that's what used to stat them.... but then how do they get the 2mps minimum velocity?

Yeah, this is why I wish that SJ games didn't freak out of the internet hate that Vehicles 2nd ed got ahd had David keep the numbers hidden (guess it was early enough that it wasn't common knowledge for SJ game that a small anger but vocal minority can cause a fringe idea to become "common knowledge".). Personally, I think that a Generic and Universal system needs to be a little more open. I don't mean, have the numbers be in your face but a side bar or even if it used more abstract numbers and said something like, "The actual numbers can be whatever you want but if you increase the damage of a laser weapon weight goes up by X, shots go down by y and so on." would of been useful.

Might have to see if I can get a hold of David and see if he's got the time to answer some questions. Poor guy, every time I send him a PM I almost imagine him going, "Oh no, this guy again! >.<"

Quote:
That makes much more sense. Thanks also for the reverse-engineered weapon stats, although I might end up using 3e Vehicles for that instead.
Might be better for the mean time. I pretty much do the same, just modified with real world numbers I can find and I also use Spaceships to get a rough idea of some of the updated numbers that David is using for the VDS (or at lest updated as of the time he made the Spaceship books heh).

Also, this did give me an excuse to go over and debug my gun stat numbers. Found a simpler way to come up with number of shots of EM guns.

Rather that number salad I was using, just figure EM shell weight as 0.000025lbs×(weapons caliber in cm/0.4)^3. Of course this means the round has an aspect ratio of only around 2.1 but.... it is what it is heh.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
The_Ryujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #84
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantry Combat: 3e Style v2
There are a few more things missing from last post’s combat. I discovered the advantages of smartlinked weaponry too late. Additionally, there are some options I’ve overlooked. So, yes, this is essentially a rehash of last week’s post.
Continue reading...
Old 04-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #85
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Torch Revisited
While building some more detailed spacecraft, I got to look at the fusion torch, as described previously for both interface and space propulsion, again.

And it turns out there’s a big issue here.
Continue reading...

Essentially, I noticed that the VTOL-style shuttle can easily boil titanium on landing. This is an attempt to avoid that.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #86
The_Ryujin

Meant to write this last week but works been a bear >.>

So I see you're messing around with gyrocs in your latest posts. Coincidentally enough, I've been working on stating up a 4th ed version of the 30mm gyroc (which I hope to have out by Thursday, thank god I have tomorrow off heh).

Because of this I have the rules on how they work fresh on my mind, I've notice you've been kinda over thinking how they work.

Basically in 4th ed, if you dumb fire a gyroc you just use GUNS (GYROC). If you take an Aim Maneuver you can add the gyrocs Acc (if it has any) to your attack roll if your next maneuver is an Attack one.

If you fire a viper gyroc you need to take an Aim Maneuver to make a lock on roll. This is just a roll vs Artillery (Guided Missile) to make sure that you know how the controls work. To hit the target you just roll vs 10 plus the gyrocs Acc (if any) instead of your skill.

Of course that's not to say I'm not interested in some of your ideas as they are interesting.

Also to give you some more options, here's a little sneak peak at two options I'm adding to gyrocs in the post I'm working on:

High Velocity: 15mm and 30mm gyrocs are available in high velocity versions. These cost the same but trade increased kinetic impact for a greatly reduced range. Range for both types ranges drop to 500 yards but damage increases to 15d pi++ for a 15mm gyrocs and to 6d×5 pi++ for 30mm gyrocs.

Guidance Options

Laser-Homing: Adds +3 to the gyroc accuracy when making a GUNS (GYROC) roll but requires a target to be lased by a laser sight or designator. Ineffective if the target is covered by smoke, heavy fog, etc. Double the rounds cost.

Nano-Optic Guidance: Adds an nano-optic array to the gyroc with advanced optical tracking capability. Increases a gyrocs Acc by +3 when fired using GUNS (GYROC). Triple the rounds cost.

Oh and note that the price for a 15mm micromissle is wrong, it should be $20, not $50 dollars.

Normies: Man! The government is filled with liars and thieves! Me: Well yeah, here's what they're lying about, what they're stealing from you, and who's doing it. Normies: Rolls eyes Shut up conspiracy theorist Me: >.>
Old 05-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #87
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Combat: 3e values (AKVs)
3e infantry combat rules turned out to work quite nicely. What
about simply using the original 3e spacecraft values together with the 4e tactical system?
Continue reading...
Old 05-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #88
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun: Deep Beyond
In THS: Deep Beyond, a railgun component is introduced. This railgun is an “extremely long-barreled 155mm gun”, and has a muzzle velocity of 15km/s. It fires bursts (maximum of 2 per 100 seconds), each of which masses about ten kg. Each burst does cDAM 6dx(5+RV) damage, with an after-armour multiplier of 10 which can be reduced by point defence fire.

The gun masses 22t and uses 1,700MJ per burst. It can also be installed only when that dimension is longer than about 30 metres.
Continue reading...

This is me trying (and failing) to reproduce THS' railgun, and an alternative I built.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #89
The_Ryujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreios View Post
Continue reading...

This is me trying (and failing) to reproduce THS' railgun, and an alternative I built.

In so far as I know the only change Transhuman Space made to EM weapons was rule that when figuring WPS P is always 0.2.

This should make each round weigh 27.9lbs.... hmmmm wonder if David somehow made a mistake and made P 0.02....

But then again assuming each burst fires 10 shots a extremely long barreled EMgun firing a 27.9lbs shot does come up to 1,676MJ...

Also you can get the weight of the gun up to 21.6tons if you make it a TL10 (3rd scale), extremely long barreled gun with a heavy automatic action.

But for damage and other stats... yeah I get the same results as you.

So yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with the railgun from Deep Beyond.

The weird thing is that personal scale EM weapons work just fine using Vehicles. The 15mm Emag rifle from main Transhuman Space book lines up perfectly.

Deep Beyond was written by David so the chances of its stats being a mistake are a lot less likely then if it was handled by another author.... Wonder if he found that giving railguns a G modifier of 4 was under cutting their performance vs real world examples at the time (a G of 16 seems to work). It also doesn't help that the combat system used by Transhuman Space abstracts things a bit....

So I guess add a new option for G called Railgun and give it a value of 16 is about the only option I can come up with ATM.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #90
kreios

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ryujin View Post
Deep Beyond was written by David so the chances of its stats being a mistake are a lot less likely then if it was handled by another author.... Wonder if he found that giving railguns a G modifier of 4 was under cutting their performance vs real world examples at the time (a G of 16 seems to work). It also doesn't help that the combat system used by Transhuman Space abstracts things a bit....

So I guess add a new option for G called Railgun and give it a value of 16 is about the only option I can come up with ATM.
This might be possible as a workaround. For now, I'm simply going to use the railgun as-is. I have spent enough time optimizing space combat :-)

Tags
blog, blogs