Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #11
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Second soul that can take over in some situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Temporary Disadvantage is not listed in Power among the limitation making an advantage switchable, but I would agree with you if I was the GM. Cost become [23]. Still quite expensive for the effect..
Actually, I'm not really sure you need the Reflexive on the build either. Compartmentalized Mind is normally on all the time, and would just automatically take effect if you were mentally attacked, so it feels odd to apply such an expensive enhancement to make this version able to do that. Now, normally, it's true, a switchable advantage does need an action to turn on. However, I think in the case of defensive advantages, it's probably reasonable to say that they can be designed to come on automatically without needing an action, as long as you can't deliberately suppress them, and thus can be forced to suffer the drawbacks of activation automatically. Basically, you're getting the ability for the advantage to still automatically apply to your defenses, without having to consciously activate it, in exchange for the defense applying its consequence to you without your choice.

So, in this case, the Compartmentalized Mind would automatically kick in when you're mentally attacked, even if you think you could really wouldn't mind what the attacker was doing, or wanted to retain the ability to attack people. Or, if you had something like DR with Costs Fatigue, it would automatically trigger when you were attacked, even if you felt you could take the hit and didn't want to spend that FP anyway.

This would effectively be a "switch" chosen when you built the ability.

Edited to add: Thinking about this a bit more, I'd say if you choose automatic activation, you also have to keep the ability on for a full time increment (1 minute, usually), and can't voluntarily switch it off before then. So your Compartmentalized Mind comes on in response to an attack reflexively, but then you're locked into being a pacifist for a minute, whether you like it or not.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 12-21-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
AlexanderHowl

I think that it would be simpler to have Immunity (Mind Control; Nuisance Effect, Character triggers Split Personality for one hour when he or she is targeted by Mind Control effects, -5%) [15] and Split Personality (12) [-15]. The Nuisance Effect represents the character shrugging off the Mind Control with their Immunity while the Split Personality represents the spirit taking over during times of stress.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #13
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Full build :
Compartmentalized Mind [28]
Temporary disadvantage : Pacifism, cannot kill -15%
Mental separation only, -80%
Reflexive, +40%
Switchable, +10%

Remove Reflexive to drop the price to [10], but you need a ready action to switch it on/off in case of attack.
On rereading, I would drop reflexive and still allow instant defense, simply because you otherwise end paying more for a limited version than for the unlimited. You still end paying the same, but that happen with the 80% limit.

Last edited by Celjabba; 12-22-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote