Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
lord buss

Default about aura, emanation, and reality bending

two related questions:
1)how aura works, and why and it have to be Melee Attack, Range C? how emanation works, and how it can not have range? what the difference between them?
2)how i build affliction, that every turn, as free action, teleports all the characters in 5 yard range (if they fail their resistance rolls) into random place in this area? its meant to be chaotic ability that warp space and range.

thank you for the help.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: about aura, emanation, and reality bending

Emanation is a Limitation on an Area Effect power that basically changes your area attack to a no range one that is centered on you and comes from you so your not hurt.

Aura is an Enhancement that turns an attack into a damage shield so anyone hitting you is affected, including their weapons.

I think I would build your attack as an Emanation, with Affects Others, Area Effect, and Persistent.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
lord buss

1) the question is how emanation can have no range?
and if i understand this right, i think aura should not be could aura. its not a aura around you, its your body, that affects those who touch it.

2) how to make the affliction free action? i think uncontrollable will do this, and the randomness, but it clearly said that the effect will be negative, even if not harmful.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord buss View Post
1) the question is how emanation can have no range?
and if i understand this right, i think aura should not be could aura. its not a aura around you, its your body, that affects those who touch it.

2) how to make the affliction free action? i think uncontrollable will do this, and the randomness, but it clearly said that the effect will be negative, even if not harmful.
The no range effect is part of the Emanation modifier. Its like no range and a limited Selective effect that excludes you.
Aura could be your body but also a field next to you, like an electric forcefield.

Aura is a continuous power so once you turn it on it stays on unless your knocked out or turn it off.
Emanation could be built with Trigger,Persistent, Uncontrollable or other modifiers to achieve various effects.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 07-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Donny Brook

Attack with Area Effect enhancement has both a range (distance to can send it) and an radius of area affected centred on where you send it. Emanation removes the range, leaving only a radius area centred on you.

Aura basically converts an active attack ability into a passive automatic attack against anyone who touches you. It is less costly than it looks because you always buy Melee attack Range C [-30] along with it. Unless I am mistaken, you can enlarge your Aura with levels of Area Effect.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Nereidalbel

To build your chaotic teleporting power, you would buy Affliction with Melee C, Aura, Area Effect, and Advantage: Modified Warp. The modifier on Warp would be whatever range limit you want to set on how far it can poof somebody.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Affliction with Melee, C, Aura, Area Effect, and Advantage (Warp) is the correct way to do it.

Aura makes attacks automatic. There are possibly other ways to do it, but they are hard, convoluted, and expensive. Aura is the proper way to do it.

Auras require Melee, Close on the ability: you cannot add aura to a ranged attack.

What you are thinking of as the 'range' of the aura is actually area effect. Each level doubles (or less) the radius of the aura. So if you want an aura that effects out to 5 yards, you by area effect 3 (which would cover up to 8) and just say it effects out to five instead. Or convince the GM to cut you a deal on the radius (since its really close to 4). Or just go with a 4 yard or 8 yard radius.

Its a feature who gets control of an advantage given with an affliction. In this case the controller is a bunch of dice. The exact pattern is up to you when you build the affliction.

You may also want reduced time on the affliction, as its only going to last for one round. 1/60 is appropriate (-35%), though a case can be made for 1/100 or more as 1 minute is the minimum such an affliction lasts.

If you have access to multiplicative modifiers they are both appropriate and huge cost savers in this build... but you may not have access to them.

For me the tricky part is actually statting the warp: its likely to be quite expensive.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
You may also want reduced time on the affliction, as its only going to last for one round. 1/60 is appropriate (-35%), though a case can be made for 1/100 or more as 1 minute is the minimum such an affliction lasts.
Or you buy the modified Warp with One Use Only, making the Affliction much cheaper.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Refplace

1 use ever is a modifer for 1/5 points that showed in some places.
Its in Power Ups Limitations
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 AM   #10
Anaraxes

GURPS Supers originally, I think.

It's one of two options for an ability that costs CP for each use -- hence the discount. There's a rule for a permanent ability that costs CP as "fuel" for each use, as well as the option to have a burnout ability that's prepaid, but has one use ever.

I don't think the 1/5 cost is appropriate for this case. The target of the Affliction isn't spending CP -- and it would be a heck of an ability to use against a PC that cost them 20 CP to Warp every time they got hit, even if it didn't actually send them anywhere. Nor can the Affliction give them a pile of CP to use on a one-shot Warp so that their point total doesn't change. In addition, nothing prevents the ability from being used against the same character again. It's not like you get a lifetime immunity after the first time you meet a Porta-Field Demon. None of the drawbacks that limit a one-use ability apply, so it doesn't rate the 1/5th multiplier.

(As long as we're on the topic, note that it's one of the few 1/5 multipliers which are explicitly not the same as a -80% Limitation. It doesn't combine with other Limitations in the usual calculation, but is a separate step after you determine the CP cost of the ability.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, affliction, aura area effect, aura of power, gurps 4e, help me out here