Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #161
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
At least Indy rarely uses dynamite as a tool of archeology. Some of the real early ones did. It's a fun thing to contrast 19C reality to what we call 'unrealistic' sometimes.
Yep. Those horrible egotistical paleontologists in the dinosaur wars of the late 19th century. Just imagining how many scientifically useful fossils destroyed just to reach the possible big bones. :(
Old 10-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #162
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Yep. Those horrible egotistical paleontologists in the dinosaur wars of the late 19th century. Just imagining how many scientifically useful fossils destroyed just to reach the possible big bones. :(
Not to mention parkland and grazeland demolished, as well as native lands violated.

Pretty damned toxic.

A cautious and thorough paleontologist during the great fossil wars, who blows up the competition but not the fossil beds... that would be wonderfully against type.

Last edited by ak_aramis; 10-04-2016 at 11:38 PM.
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:39 PM   #163
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Not to mention parkland and grazeland demolished, as well as native lands violated.

Pretty damned toxic.
Eco-destruction and political abuse weren't what I was going for as they're still pretty darn prevalent now. But I can't disagree.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #164
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
A cautious and thorough paleontologist during the great fossil wars, who blows up the competition but not the fossil beds... that would be wonderfully against type.
That would be anachronistic, but also probably what most people not so well versed in just how destructive 19th century science was would expect.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #165
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

An prominent Internet content-creator whose fans are, to a man, polite and reasonable and never flood his comments section with profanities, demands for more content than provided, complaints about his advertisements, etc.

This is more going against type for the fans/commenters than it is for anything the content creator himself could possibly do.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #166
Flyndaran
Untagged

Normal human psychology doesn't really count as a stereotype.
Every single member of a large group acting morally correct in all dealings is Stepford level homogeneity.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:59 PM   #167
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That would be anachronistic, but also probably what most people not so well versed in just how destructive 19th century science was would expect.
To be fair, babies are messy too. Perhaps a little more creepy was how flippant they could sometimes be about the lives of their native servants. Sometimes reading accounts you get the impression that they regarded them as expendable.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #168
jason taylor

Romans are the good guys for once.

An Aussie is a wispy fellow who can barely be persuaded to go out of doors.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #169
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
To be fair, babies are messy too. Perhaps a little more creepy was how flippant they could sometimes be about the lives of their native servants. Sometimes reading accounts you get the impression that they regarded them as expendable.
Most modern people say every life matters, but actions on a personal and national levels proves that a lie.
But dehumanizing as a matter of course is creepy in how such bigots could seem nice and charming right until that moment they say something that makes you realize their nature.
I have an "in-law" like that. No crazy eyes, rudeness, or overt signs he's an animal abusing psychopath for about 10 minutes at a time.

But fiction has few psychopaths that aren't geniuses or clinically mentally ill.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #170
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Romans are the good guys for once.

An Aussie is a wispy fellow who can barely be persuaded to go out of doors.
Aren't Roman usually the good guys? Or at the least the bastion of civilization against which the barbarous horde wages war?
Roman rulers are often the bad guys, but then aren't most rulers portrayed that way in fiction and reality?