Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 06-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
JCD

Default Re: Wait! The Game can detect demons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Or, at least, where the Game demons are. Demons of The Game are even less popular in Hell then angels of Judgement are in Heaven, and they're considerably more likely to be waylaid, mislaid, shot from behind and their vessel dumped in the bay, etc. then their Heavenly counterparts. The way I see it, "how can I get rid of this guy from Judgement?" is a question that is only seriously asked on rare occasions by angels, when they really need to do something that would ping Dominic's radar, whereas "How can I get rid of this guy from The Game" is a serious question that every other demon asks as soon as one shows up, and will be acted on if an opportunity presents itself.

Thus, Gamester's abilities to recognize demons is limited by their institutional culture. Few demons go to a Gamester asking "Can you tell me if this guy is a demon?", because then a) you've drawn the attention of the Game to yourself, and b) you now owe The Game a favor. Neither are good circumstances.
Good points all, but I wasn't thinking of it so much as a service as much as (playing an demon who isn't a Gamester) a wretched inconvenience, particularly since keeping away from the Game is, as you correctly point out, every demon's immoral duty.

The limits come less from their institutional culture as it is from sheer logistics: Each Game band can find identify one demon Band...unless they have multiple Band attunements. For the life of me, I can't see Azzie dropping them like candy. I suppose some effort is made by the Game to get as many Bands 'detectable' as possible in a given city, with 'holes' able to be filled with a few phone calls.

If a city has a 'Triad' of the Game, they probably detect 3-5 of the possible Bands, which ones an important question on everyones' list. Since the Game isn't talking and asking is treachery, and no one ELSE can detect Game demons except others of the Game, this makes things very interesting.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

One reason Asmodeus is probably leery of giving his servitors too many other Band attunements is that each one he adds makes the servitor more of a flight risk. Think about it - the more types of demon a Renegade can reliably detect, the fewer options Asmodeus has when it comes to sending other demons to collect them. A hypothetical Game Renegade with all the band attunements would have a perfect demon detector, and would have a much better chance of evading capture for a long, long time. In fact, I'd go so far as to speculate that Asmodeus would probably never give any one demon the "full set" as it were, ensuring that he always has a Band he can send after them undetectably.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
One reason Asmodeus is probably leery of giving his servitors too many other Band attunements is that each one he adds makes the servitor more of a flight risk. Think about it - the more types of demon a Renegade can reliably detect, the fewer options Asmodeus has when it comes to sending other demons to collect them. A hypothetical Game Renegade with all the band attunements would have a perfect demon detector, and would have a much better chance of evading capture for a long, long time. In fact, I'd go so far as to speculate that Asmodeus would probably never give any one demon the "full set" as it were, ensuring that he always has a Band he can send after them undetectably.
Certainly something to think about. Of course, as Archangel Beth mentioned, Humanity can circumvent that, but it is a cumbersome way of doing it.

Hmm. Thinking about it, (and putting a flavor thread spin on it), the number of Band attunements probably is one of many signs of status in his organization. If one doesn't have one normally, he adds one extra band attunement per Distinction up to three.

The band attunement statistically least distributed is that of Djinn for several reasons: one, his organization is probably a bit Djinn heavy so it isn't as necessary; two they are his trackers of first resort for Renegades; and three he is a Djinn himself and any edge...
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
The limits come less from their institutional culture as it is from sheer logistics: Each Game band can find identify one demon Band...unless they have multiple Band attunements.
And they do have to make a Perception roll to notice, as I recall. The lack of automatic demon-detection can help.

(The "no, nobody gets them all BUT ME" aspect, regarding flight risks, is another very good point.)

Tags
asmodeus, attunements