Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Methariel

Default The Game

Hello everybody!

We all know Asmodeus as Prince of the Game - the institution that keeps the rebels among the Rebels in check. The interpretation of his Word can be found in Heaven & Hell.
But I wonder if this is the only Game he plays. Does his Word just encompass all these mind-games? Or is he also "in charge of" other games, like Monopoly, for example? (Chess comes to mind, of course. But that's something too fitting his Word.) What about games like roulette or...well...role-playing games?
I hope you excuse my bad English, I'm quite tired. But I hope I was able to make clear what I'd like to know.

Methariel
Old 03-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: The Game

I suspect that it encompasses more trivial games as well as the Great Game. But it's the Great Game that has the most prestige attached, so most Servitors of the Game focus on it -- or at least talk about it most.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Megapope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
I suspect that it encompasses more trivial games as well as the Great Game. But it's the Great Game that has the most prestige attached, so most Servitors of the Game focus on it -- or at least talk about it most.

Hmm. I see the Demon of Monopoly being not totally without power in the western world. Just think about the great selfish lessons one can learn from the game, not to mention the family breakups that occur over it. Malphas would be good buddies with that guy too.

Frothy Rantings!
Megapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Glamourweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megapope
Hmm. I see the Demon of Monopoly being not totally without power in the western world. Just think about the great selfish lessons one can learn from the game, not to mention the family breakups that occur over it. Malphas would be good buddies with that guy too.
You're still thinking in terms of the literal board game though. "Games" are metaphors, just like Asmodeus' Word. The Demon of Monopoly would love the Parker Brother's Game that represents his goals and plays out his quests, but he'd also literally be the Demon who's drives buisness's under one leadership, destroying all competition in favor of oligarchic rule & abuse of power. Asmodeus' Word is all about the usage and twisting of power & the treating of beings as playing pieces rather than actual beings.
Glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
cappadocius

I dunno. Asmodeus' Word is "THE Game", not "Games" - it's the same important distinction to make between "THE War" and "War".

Asmodeus is surely interested in games, particularly the way they can act as microcosms of The Game, and even serve as proxy battlefields for it - but if every board game in the world were suddenly wiped from existence? Enh, I can't see him getting worked up over it.
cappadocius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Magnus

I see (and this is of course only my humble opinion) The Game as encompassing any sort of 'conflict with rules', particularly those with large stakes, and especially with souls and lives riding on the outcome.

The best examples of these would be the legal and political systems. Arcane rules, fierce competition, and the biggest winners are those that play the game best. The natural consequence of this, IMC, is that Azzie is immensely powerful not just in Hell, but on earth through control of the courts and the governments. Fortunately for heaven, this power is mainly utilised against renegades. Unfortunately, this means that not much is being done to fight it, and every day it gets just a little bit harder for the innocent.

But then, I'm a cynical pol. sci. student running a dark campaign. Your mileage may vary.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:52 AM   #7
MIB4223

My interpretation is that The Game both refers to the Great Game, but also to a very specific, "normal", game: In Nomine itself!
Now, that would mean Asmodeus is quite powerful... :)
MIB4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Xavier

Hmm.

Does this mean that Asmodeus is Triple H?
"I am... The Game!"
:P
Old 03-18-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
But then, I'm a cynical pol. sci. student running a dark campaign. Your mileage may vary.
The problem with your approach is it assumes that the forces of Judgement do nothing or are totally ineffective.

The first is unlikely given Dominic's Basic Rites. The second seems odd.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:51 AM   #10
Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
The problem with your approach is it assumes that the forces of Judgement do nothing or are totally ineffective.

The first is unlikely given Dominic's Basic Rites. The second seems odd.
Like I said, Dark campaign. I tend to assume Hell has the edge on Earth, thanks largely to human complicity. Judgement doesn't oppose Asmodeus as much as they could because they're more focused on the Heavenly rank and file - Angels falling is a bigger problem than Demons redeeming, and Judgement could care less about earthly politics. There'll be embattled public prosecutors and legal aid attorneys trying to protect the innocent and punish the guilty, and topping up their essence in the process, but subtly manipulating large, powerful organizations of selfish people is what Asmodeus is all about.

A brighter campaign will obviously have different assumptions.

Plus, Dominic is a secret balseraph :P
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asmodeus