Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
cupbearer

Default Jumping height?

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea what official rule would be for how high you can jump? (only distance of horizontal jump is shown)?

Love the DF rules for jumping, so simple, but no mention of height of jumps allowed.

thanks.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: Jumping height?

I think the DFRPG way of doing it would be for the GM to simply decide what's possible, possibly using skill penalties to provide a continuum. Since we know that you can jump onto a "table or chair" with a flat DX or Jumping roll, then that gives us a baseline of about 30 inches. You could say in your key, "the Ogre's table is taller than usual, -2 to jumping," or, "the ledge is so high that only a skilled SM-0 acrobat could make it, -8 to skill."

If you want more detail, of course, GURPS provides it. The basic formula is:

Quote:
High Jump: (6×Basic Move) - 10 inches. For example, a Basic Move of 6 lets you jump 26” straight up. For a running jump, add the number of yards you run to Basic Move in this formula. Maximum running high-jump height is twice standing high-jump height. (GURPS Lite, p. 23)
If you have the Jumping skill, "you may use half your Jumping skill (round down) instead of Basic Move when calculating jumping distance." (p. 15). And, just as in DFRPG, you roll vs. the higher of DX or Jumping.

Last edited by Dalin; 12-17-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I think the DFRPG way of doing it would be for the GM to simply decide what's possible, possibly using skill penalties to provide a continuum. Since we know that you can jump onto a "table or chair" with a flat DX or Jumping roll, then that gives us a baseline of about 30 inches. You could say in your key, "the Ogre's table is taller than usual, -2 to jumping," or, "the ledge is so high that only a skilled SM-0 acrobat could make it, -8 to skill."
No but Dungeon fantasy provides a concrete distance for broad jump, but not for high jump. I was wondering if the designers knew the answer or there was errata, or something I am maybe missing.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
adm

Base GURPS, p. 352;

High Jump: (6 X Basic Move) - 10 inches. For a running jump, add the number of yards you run to Basic Move in this formula. Maximum running highjump height is twice standing highjump height.

Given DFRPGs basis on old school RPGs, I'm really surprised this got cut.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Base GURPS, p. 352;

High Jump: (6 X Basic Move) - 10 inches. For a running jump, add the number of yards you run to Basic Move in this formula. Maximum running highjump height is twice standing highjump height.

Given DFRPGs basis on old school RPGs, I'm really surprised this got cut.
Hi

Thanks for responding but this is from GURPS Basic set. But What I am looking for is an equivalent equation for DFRPG, which is less realistic but easier to remember, for instance broad jump in DFRPG is just half of Move rounded down in yards...
Old 12-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
Thanks for responding but this is from GURPS Basic set.
Yeah... what else did you expect? There is no 'easy calculation' for DFRPG.

Quote:
But What I am looking for is an equivalent equation for DFRPG, which is less realistic but easier to remember, for instance broad jump in DFRPG is just half of Move rounded down in yards...
It's Move/2 or Jump/4, round down in yards.

Move/2 is similar enough to (Move x 2)-3 feet. It isn't an exact match, but it's close. So you can easily figure out something like so:

High Jump in feet = Move/3 or Jumping/6, round up. Add this to 1 and 1/2 times your height if trying to reach something up high (ledge, roof beam, dangling rope, etc).

It's "close" at lower moves, it's not at all close at moves higher than 10*.

But really, it wasn't "cut", it's right there: "Hopping over or onto a high vertical obstacle (e.g., a table or chair) requires a DX or Jumping roll."

Most PCs aren't going to be able to easily clear anything higher than a table or chair, so why bother with any calculations?

* It's about as good as the Broad Jump calculation which is off at moves higher than 10 as well.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
Hi

Thanks for responding but this is from GURPS Basic set. But What I am looking for is an equivalent equation for DFRPG, which is less realistic but easier to remember, for instance broad jump in DFRPG is just half of Move rounded down in yards...
So why not just divide by 2? If you neglect air resistance and measure everything from centers of mass, that's even physically true that maximum horizontal distance should be twice vertical distance, and it's undeniably simple.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
So why not just divide by 2? If you neglect air resistance and measure everything from centers of mass, that's even physically true that maximum horizontal distance should be twice vertical distance, and it's undeniably simple.
I guess I was hoping for semi official way. I think I might just keep using Basic.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yeah... what else did you expect? There is no 'easy calculation' for DFRPG.

It's Move/2 or Jump/4, round down in yards.

Move/2 is similar enough to (Move x 2)-3 feet. It isn't an exact match, but it's close. So you can easily figure out something like so:

High Jump in feet = Move/3 or Jumping/6, round up. Add this to 1 and 1/2 times your height if trying to reach something up high (ledge, roof beam, dangling rope, etc).

It's "close" at lower moves, it's not at all close at moves higher than 10*.

But really, it wasn't "cut", it's right there: "Hopping over or onto a high vertical obstacle (e.g., a table or chair) requires a DX or Jumping roll."

Most PCs aren't going to be able to easily clear anything higher than a table or chair, so why bother with any calculations?

* It's about as good as the Broad Jump calculation which is off at moves higher than 10 as well.
I was expecting some kind of explanation why it is missing? and if there is a semi official way to implement a simple calculation as the broad jump was.

I hear what you are saying about just having a roll, but the problem is that you don't know how high is the max someone can jump, its not shown at all.