Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Michael Cule

Default BANESTORM: Is there a one page intro?

I'm planning on running a BANESTORM game at a couple of upcoming conventions.

Though I love the sound of my own voice and could give an awesome two minute breakdown of the world and its history I'd be grateful if anyone knows of a one sided world briefing I could make use of. I'll write my own if I must... But I can't believe no-one has done it before me.

I found a 'GURPS In One Page' summary. I should be able to find this.

Last edited by Michael Cule; 12-31-2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I was trying to add tags but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that after posting.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: BANESTORM: Is there a one page intro?

I don't have a one-page summary, but I was wondering whether you really need a summary of the entire Banestorm setting. Wouldn't a summary of the local area and the background of the adventure be more appropriate?

I think people get stuck on the global effects of the Banestorm itself, instead of using it as an excuse to get humans and elves and goblins and Christianity and Islam and Vikings and Samurai and magic all in the same worldbook somewhat plausibly. Each area is fairly self-contained as an adventure setting and can be described as such without worrying about other areas.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Last edited by Michael Cule; Today at 10:41 PM. Reason: I was trying to add tags but there doesn't seem to be a way of doing that after posting.
Not with the edit button. When viewing the thread, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click the "edit tags" link on the right. I've added a "banestorm" tag.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

ENGLISH SPEAKING HUMANS descended from 11th CENTURY CRUSADERS live alongside ELVES, DWARVES, HALFLINGS, and similar common fantasy races. CHRISTIANITY is dominant religion of humans, halflings, and goblins in some areas and ISLAM is dominant in others. Most religious sects say WIZARDS ARE OKAY AND DON'T ENGAGE IN WITCH-HUNTS. Despite NEARLY 1,000 YEARS passing, TECHNOLOGY IS NOMINALLY MEDIEVAL/REN-FAIRE aesthetically.

One-paragraph intro I think covers all the important points. Go ahead and expand on anything you think might need more fleshing out.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Michael Cule

Here's what I went with at the end. One side of A4 (there will be a map of Arraterre on the back and maybe one of Ytarria too).

BANESTORM (1)

THE WORLD

Yrth is an Earth-like parallel world: the size of the world, the gravity and so on, are all the same as Earth’s. So are the Sun, the planets and the pattern of stars in the sky. However the face of the moon is different and so are the shapes of the continents.

The world is native to three species for certain: the Elves, the Dwarves and the Orcs .(2) There have been wars between the three for almost as long as their histories stretch back. Nearly a thousand years ago a fanatical cult among the Elves (3) decided to use a huge magical ritual to summon something that would wipe out the Dwarves and Orcs and leave Yrth a purely Elven world.

They blew the spell badly but got their wish - after a fashion. Great and uncontrollable magical storms, the Banestorms, sprang up and dragged from their own worlds a mixed bag of new inhabitants. From Earth (perhaps several different Earths) where it was the time of the crusades came humans of several different nations and from other parallel words came several other species. These newcomers settled in the world and pretty much took it over, at least the continent of Ytarria where the last remnants of the Elves are finding their woodlands getting smaller by the year. (4)

The Banestorms are less frequent than they were but people still come across from other worlds from time to time. The nations take an interest in suppressing any disruptive new technology or other ideas they may bring across.

Modern Ytarria is divided between the Christian lands (especially the Empire of Megalos), the twin Muslim realms of Al-Wazif and Al-Haz and several other nations, not all easily accessible or welcoming to outsiders.

THE NATION

Araterre is a series of islands to the south of the main continent. They often have rather more magic in the environment than other places which can make life exciting. The population is mostly Catholic Christians of French descent and the Prince of Araterre holds his lands from the Emperor of Megalos.

Three hundred miles to the South-east of the main islands lies Bilit Island whose strange inhabitants resemble Meso-Americans of the pre-Columbian period, complete with human sacrifice by ripping the hearts out of people with obsidian knives.

THE VOYAGE
A simple trip from Mallory to Sauvons aboard the good ship La Bonne Auberge de Ansonne, should have been pleasant and safe enough. But on the third day a great storm emerged out of the North and drove the ship out to sea for five days running. She now lies anchored by a jungle covered island that you may be the first humans to see…

(1) Some of these facts may be relevant to the adventure.
(2) Whether the Dragons are native is a matter of debate among scholars.
(3) “The Defenders of the Sacred Woodlands” as they called themselves, the “Storm Bringers” as other elves call them or the Dark Elves as other races call them.
(4) The Dwarves are still smug and snug under their mountains.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Joe

Thanks for sharing this, Michael.

Tags
banestorm, yrth