Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
benz72
 
benz72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Park, San Diego
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

An increased mana level will set you up for a Megalen invasion at some point.

You need bodies of water... the castle and those who farm to keep it fed are getting their water from some river or another... that is probably a good thing to put on the map

Known roads would be another good feature to add.

If there are any political boundaries of relevance that do not match terrain (or even if they do) that might be a good thing to note. E.g. when do they pass from the Barony of X into the territory overseen by the Sheriff of Y?
__________________
Benundefined
Life has a funny way of making sure you decide to leave the party just a few minutes too late to avoid trouble.
benz72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:58 PM   #12
Carnifex
 
Carnifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Harker Heights Texas
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
An increased mana level will set you up for a Megalen invasion at some point.
You bring up an interesting point. I would think the distances involved would be some protection, this and the mountains, desert and djinn's are probably what has kept the area isolated to this point.

Quote:
You need bodies of water... the castle and those who farm to keep it fed are getting their water from some river or another... that is probably a good thing to put on the map

Known roads would be another good feature to add.
Another good point, while there are none marked on the larger maps, that does not mean there are not smaller bodies of water that would be on a smaller scale map like this one. With the swap just 30 miles north, it makes sense that there is something feeding it.

As for the roads, I would think there would be at least one major road leading back to Caithness if nothing else. Other roads would depend on how far from the castle the human populations are settling.

Quote:
If there are any political boundaries of relevance that do not match terrain (or even if they do) that might be a good thing to note. E.g. when do they pass from the Barony of X into the territory overseen by the Sheriff of Y?
At this point, I am thinking none, as this is an isolated holding hundreds of miles from Caithness proper. Although crossing the swamp probably puts one squarely into Bulgaren's territory.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
Carnifex
 
Carnifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Harker Heights Texas
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

I finally got a bit of time and updated the map with a large body of water in the swamp and a river moving south through the area of the castle. I did not add any roads, my thinking at this point is most of the human population is going to be very close to the castle for protection. Although I am considering marking a trade route with Caithness.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #14
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I finally got a bit of time and updated the map with a large body of water in the swamp and a river moving south through the area of the castle. I did not add any roads, my thinking at this point is most of the human population is going to be very close to the castle for protection. Although I am considering marking a trade route with Caithness.
Placing a fortification of some sort that has grown into a castle over time on a trade route between two locations makes a lot of sense. Originally, the fort/castle was constructed to help protect travelers and trade caravans; over time, the castle itself and the town that grew around it became a center for trade.

Just my thoughts on how this place would have started and grown over time.
__________________
"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #15
Proteus
 
Proteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

I checked GURPS Banestorm and it describes a complete orcish overrun of Castle Defiant and the rest of the Caithness enclave. So this campaign uses either a historical setting, a variant, or one that requires some exciting updates in the world's recent history....
__________________
— - — - — - — - — - — - — - — - — - — - —
Looking for a GURPS game in Houston, Texas.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #16
Carnifex
 
Carnifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Harker Heights Texas
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I checked GURPS Banestorm and it describes a complete orcish overrun of Castle Defiant and the rest of the Caithness enclave. So this campaign uses either a historical setting, a variant, or one that requires some exciting updates in the world's recent history....
Banestorm's history is complete up to 2004 or 2005, that was 11 years ago. The basis of my idea is the Caithness civil war is over and has retaken Castle Defiant, the area has now become a new frontier ripe for exploitation by roaming bands of murder hobo....er I mean adventurers. The holding has probably been reestablished for not more than year or two.

As I said in the beginning, this is meant to be a sandbox, a place to host the tavern where every adventure begins. The recent history is not that important, in fact leaving the castle in Bulgaren’s hands and making the area an Outlaw Haven might be more fun.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
Rigil_Kent
 
Rigil_Kent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: T'Pol's Ready Room
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
Banestorm's history is complete up to 2004 or 2005, that was 11 years ago. The basis of my idea is the Caithness civil war is over and has retaken Castle Defiant, the area has now become a new frontier ripe for exploitation by roaming bands of murder hobo....er I mean adventurers. The holding has probably been reestablished for not more than year or two.

As I said in the beginning, this is meant to be a sandbox, a place to host the tavern where every adventure begins. The recent history is not that important, in fact leaving the castle in Bulgaren’s hands and making the area an Outlaw Haven might be more fun.
Might be interesting to start the campaign with the murder hobo...er ... adventurers moving in an retaking Castle Defiant first, then using it as a base of operations?
__________________
"Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant."

Star Trek: Endeavour - a fanfiction site
Frak, Frel, and Other "F" Words - my blog
Rigil_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

Are you letting wizards take the normally-for-DF banned spells? Or is there just no non-alchemical magical healing?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
acrosome
 
acrosome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Colorado Springs
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

It might be fun to make the swamp an endorheic basin, like the Okavango Delta. IIRC there are mountains close enough to be a source. That river then becomes very important as a travel route with reliable water. Because, there's steppes and then there's steppes. I imagine the orclands as dry steppes, more like Kazakhstan or Patagonia than verdant like the Ukraine. And some sort of slightly high salinity would sort of fit in with the nastiness of the orclands. Put some salt pans near it.

Last edited by acrosome; 09-12-2016 at 12:42 PM.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #20
Carnifex
 
Carnifex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Harker Heights Texas
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy - Castle Defiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigil_Kent View Post
Might be interesting to start the campaign with the murder hobo...er ... adventurers moving in an retaking Castle Defiant first, then using it as a base of operations?
Castle full of orcs and rogue dwarfs, sounds like a party to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Are you letting wizards take the normally-for-DF banned spells? Or is there just no non-alchemical magical healing?
I am not sure I understand the question, but I see no reason to deviate from DF on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
It might be fun to make the swamp an endorheic basin, like the Okavango Delta. IIRC there are mountains close enough to be a source.
This fits with the way the area is developing, it would make sense that the lake in the middle of the swamp would be an Endorheic lake fed from the hills and mountains to the north. My first question would be how does this affect farming and such around the castle? My second question would be, is this too much detail for your average run of the mill DF campaign?

Last edited by Carnifex; 09-12-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yrth

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.