Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

This feels like a silly question because the answer seems obvious to me, but I wanted to check with you anyway, perhaps I misunderstood something.

So, Compartmentalized Mind 1 allows you to take two Concentrate maneuvers per turn, e.g. to use your Telekinesis advantage twice at the same time. Assuming TK ST 10 with a two-handed lift of 80 kg, you could thus combine efforts like two men lifting together and lift 160 kg, correct?
CeeDub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Jerander
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
This feels like a silly question because the answer seems obvious to me, but I wanted to check with you anyway, perhaps I misunderstood something.

So, Compartmentalized Mind 1 allows you to take two Concentrate maneuvers per turn, e.g. to use your Telekinesis advantage twice at the same time. Assuming TK ST 10 with a two-handed lift of 80 kg, you could thus combine efforts like two men lifting together and lift 160 kg, correct?
I believe you'd have to buy two copies of TK to use it this way.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
This feels like a silly question because the answer seems obvious to me, but I wanted to check with you anyway, perhaps I misunderstood something.

So, Compartmentalized Mind 1 allows you to take two Concentrate maneuvers per turn, e.g. to use your Telekinesis advantage twice at the same time. Assuming TK ST 10 with a two-handed lift of 80 kg, you could thus combine efforts like two men lifting together and lift 160 kg, correct?
Compartmentalized Mind gives you a spare mind to do things, but does not add to your number of limbs or powers that you have to do things with. So, no.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
evileeyore
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (u)FAQ
If I have Compartmentalized Mind X, does it effectively give me another X instances of my (mental) abilities?
Specifically, can I use Telekinesis (TK) at full lifting capacity once with my main mind, then X times (one per extra mind)?

Yes! Otherwise there's no point in buying CM at its current price. Compare it to Duplication. If the answer was 'no', which would you buy, CM or Duplication, despite their prices?
Note I can't find the entry in the uFAQ***, but this comes from here.


This means you don't add the levels together, but rather the BLs as per regular 'multiple people lifting' rules.

[EDIT]
*** D'oh. That's because it's in the Official FAQ.
[/EDIT]
__________________
Feel free to steal, borrow, fold, spindle, mutilate any rule, advantage, etc I come up with it.

Last edited by evileeyore; 09-18-2015 at 02:41 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (u)FAQ

...
Yes! Otherwise there's no point in buying CM at its current price. Compare it to Duplication. If the answer was 'no', which would you buy, CM or Duplication, despite their prices?
That explanation is too gamist to be very convincing. The same rationale then cries out for an adjustment of the two traits' relative prices.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
CeeDub
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London, UK
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
*** D'oh. That's because it's in the Official FAQ.
Oops. That's embarrassing. Well, I told you it's a silly question. Thank you all for your answers.
CeeDub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
Lia Valenth
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: America
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
That explanation is too gamist to be very convincing. The same rationale then cries out for an adjustment of the two traits' relative prices.
Compartmentalized Mind allows you to use an extra mental action, if a mental action can be done in one action, such as casting a spell or using a modified Innate Attack, you can do it twice in a turn. As that Telekinesis is a mental ability that takes one action, not being able to use it twice makes no sense, IMO.

Using it on the same object twice in one second is a bit strange, but I see no reason not to allow it. Actually, as that Compartmentalized Mind gives two parallel minds working at once instead of serial minds acting quicker, I do not see how it would not be allowed. This also means that ATR would not allow you to do this, which is interesting (to me) because most of the time ATR is by far better.

On the other hand I am a gamist, and believe that the rules for the game should be balanced as a game, so take my stance for whatever its worth to your games.
__________________
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
Lia Valenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
evileeyore
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
That explanation is too gamist to be very convincing. The same rationale then cries out for an adjustment of the two traits' relative prices.
There was a long thread hashing this point out back in 2011 I think.
__________________
Feel free to steal, borrow, fold, spindle, mutilate any rule, advantage, etc I come up with it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
starslayer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
That explanation is too gamist to be very convincing. The same rationale then cries out for an adjustment of the two traits' relative prices.
Then ignore the gamisim and look to the fluff/mechanics.

Telekinesis let's you use a concentrate to act as if you had two hands with st equal to your level of telekinesis. It does not give you one extra pair of invisible hand, it lets you translate one concentrate to one extra pair of hands, more concentrates == more sets of hands.

With that said gurps st scales at a logarithmic rate. So two sets of St 5 hands != St 10 hands. Your world add the basic lifts, much like people working together.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:21 AM   #10
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Default Re: [Basic] TK + Compartmentalized Mind = double lifting ST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Then ignore the gamisim and look to the fluff/mechanics.

Telekinesis let's you use a concentrate to act as if you had two hands with st equal to your level of telekinesis. It does not give you one extra pair of invisible hand, it lets you translate one concentrate to one extra pair of hands, more concentrates == more sets of hands.

With that said gurps st scales at a logarithmic rate. So two sets of St 5 hands != St 10 hands. Your world add the basic lifts, much like people working together.

And yet, adding Extra Arms does not increase your Basic Lift. With TK bought based on a given price for a given capacity it seems illogical to have a parallel processer generate a whole second armamentarium. And I see a lot of potential for abuse.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
compartmentalized mind, raw, telekinesis

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.