Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
sonic232

Default Re: Control vs Telekinesis

Yeah, the simple 'Lift Rock then Throw' would be with TK, or just moving earth. Control should be used for sculpture as an alternate.

You want King Bumi style Earth-surfing? Get Flight (Low altitude, Matter surfing, Environmental)

The thing about the Bending styles is that there are set abilities which the beginners are taught, but they also encourage free-form creations which eventually also become set abilities. That sounds more like Power Stunts to me, though Control or TK may be the base on which those stunts are created.

So I'd say use Control or TK (it should depend on either the Bending style or character preference) as the base for Alternative Abilities. For free form bending, either use Power Stunts or use the optional Wildcard Powers rules from Supers, using Control or TK as the base and record which forms abilities they've used as a form of Wildcard Ability.
sonic232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
theotherscott

The "invisible hands" thing always struck me as kind of odd. Like, when you're levitating with TK, do you feel actual hands holding you up? And how big are the hands? This is why I like the hydrokinesis perk from Psionic Powers, which basically lets you make a TK container. I've always interpreted base TK as being able to affect one object at a time, and Area Effect allowing you to lift multiple objects within an area.

Assuming I go the TK route (I assume "move earth" is just TK with a "specific, earth -40%" limitation), is it possible to modify TK to move air and fire? Or does Control have to be used fro those?
theotherscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherscott View Post
Assuming I go the TK route (I assume "move earth" is just TK with a "specific, earth -40%" limitation), is it possible to modify TK to move air and fire? Or does Control have to be used fro those?
Airbending is probably just basic TK with No Fine Manipulators. Firebending is probably an Innate Attack that can Power Parry fire, and Create (fire) with Destruction.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
The "invisible hands" thing always struck me as kind of odd. Like, when you're levitating with TK, do you feel actual hands holding you up?
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You can't touch the "invisible hands" but they touch you.

Quote:
And how big are the hands?
Any size you want up to a hex.

Quote:
Why bother? The attacks with air and fire are best represented as innate attacks.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You can't touch the "invisible hands" but they touch you.
Pressure on your body (as per, say, a harness supporting your weight) is felt with the sense of touch. One says they "feel" the harness holding them up - you don't have to grope at it to feel it.

Quote:
Any size you want up to a hex.
Citation please. Otherwise the Hydrokinesis perk is definitely irrelevant (a 1 hex-area hand is a pretty good bucket), and you can certainly push or pull things that are bigger than a hex.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
theotherscott

Quote:
Why bother? The attacks with air and fire are best represented as innate attacks.
Not for attacks, for cantrip-like abilities. Stuff like illuminating one's hand, brightening or dampening a torch, or creating a small vacuum. I may go with the 1-level modular abilities for this actually, since iirc a lot of these are covered in Power-Ups 2. This would probably be

Modular Abilities (Cosmic Powers) 1 [10] +0% (Physical Only, +50%; Specific, fire abilities, -40%; Bending, -10%)

Actually, I'd like to do the above for all four kinds of bending, but with earthbending I'll invariably get the case where someone wants to move Rock X from point A to point B and there's nothing other than TK to model that.

Last edited by theotherscott; 12-01-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
theotherscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Airbending is probably just basic TK with No Fine Manipulators. Firebending is probably an Innate Attack that can Power Parry fire, and Create (fire) with Destruction.
Is it possible to add NFM to TK? What would it be worth, limitation wise?
Old 12-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #18
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Actually, I'd like to do the above for all four kinds of bending, but with earthbending I'll invariably get the case where someone wants to move Rock X from point A to point B and there's nothing other than TK to model that.
Eh, Control can do that, as well. And if you actually do the math on the weight of a boulder, it's probably cheaper to pick it up with the lift scaling of Control than TK, unless you use Super Effort.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
theotherscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Eh, Control can do that, as well. And if you actually do the math on the weight of a boulder, it's probably cheaper to pick it up with the lift scaling of Control than TK, unless you use Super Effort.
Control cannot lift objects (Powers pg 91). I also don't think it would be cheaper when you take a "Specific, Earth" limitation into account.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Control cannot lift objects (Powers pg 91). I also don't think it would be cheaper when you take a "Specific, Earth" limitation into account.
Eh, I think for such a setting, you could throw an object at chest height without a problem. You'd just use the Slam damage it would have at Move = Control level instead of some sort of ST score. That's about as high as anybody really launched rocks or water in Avatar, anyway.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, telekinesis