Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Greetings, all!

I'm having a slight trouble with the 4e Main-Gauche skill. It states that it gives +1 to parry compared to the Knife skill, but must be used in the off-hand, while Knife should be used with the primary weapon.

So the question arises, do I need both Knife and Main-Gauche to weild a pair of knives*? If yes, why do I have a higher Parry with my off-hand than with my primary hand? If not, why does it say that I need the Knife skill?
__________________
*==I'm deliberately avoiding Ambidexterity, OHWT and DWA, as I'm only putting one or two points into the skill/combo.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
The Eye of Eclipse Phase. A Discord server focusing on Roleplaying, Sci-Fi, Transhumanism, and discussion of other assorted topics, from tech to boardgames, from politics to philosophy.
vicky_molokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
Avel
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

When we put main-gauche into play in our game, we took it to mean

Main-Gauche skill is only "the skill of parrying with an off-hand dagger",

therefore to attack with a knife you need Knife skill, and you get + to parry because that's all it does, the skill is dedicated to defending not a normal weapon used for either attack or defence.

But we could very easily be wrong :)
Avel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World
 
Peter V. Dell'Orto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avel
But we could very easily be wrong :)
Yep, you are wrong.

Main-Gauche is basically "knife plus" - it's a better version of knife. If you have it, you don't also need Knife. It does everything Knife does plus a bit more; however it is more difficult and is a Fencing weapon (which has its own ups and downs) so if you don't need the "extras" you are better off with Knife. The line about using a Knife as a primary weapon is confusing, but I am 100% certain you can use a knife as a weapon - to attack, to defend, and in either hand - using Main-Gauche - thanks to discussions with Sean concerning GURPS Martial Arts.
__________________
Peter V. Dell'Orto
aka Toadkiller_Dog or TKD
My Author Page
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
Steelie
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Avel's misguided (and I'm his GM although much less experienced in GUPRS than he). One of our players spent points on Main Gauche _and_ knife until I pointed out that surely they were the same skill, but one gave you a bit more and was consequently harder to learn.

I'm glad that I was apparently less wrong than normal this time :o)
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #5
Avel
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

OK good! I was right though, that when we first had main-gauche we had both skills being bought :) I'm not the character in question so I didn't notice that Steelie wisely refunded his knife already :p
Avel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
NorthSaber
 
NorthSaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

I've always played with both skills - to me it seems that Main-Gauche *only* includes training for the off-hand (which is why we call the skill "Left Knife" in our games).
__________________
Vampires vs. Werewolves >=)
NorthSaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:10 AM   #7
blacksmith
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
Yep, you are wrong.

Main-Gauche is basically "knife plus" - it's a better version of knife. If you have it, you don't also need Knife. It does everything Knife does plus a bit more; however it is more difficult and is a Fencing weapon (which has its own ups and downs) so if you don't need the "extras" you are better off with Knife. The line about using a Knife as a primary weapon is confusing, but I am 100% certain you can use a knife as a weapon - to attack, to defend, and in either hand - using Main-Gauche - thanks to discussions with Sean concerning GURPS Martial Arts.
It was in G3, but there are reasons to use that enterpretation with G4 basic. It is not listed with normal melee skills for one and does not really say you can attack with it, so it is not unreasonable to treat it as a sort of shield skill for useing with a knife.

So the wording in basic is unclear
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
zogo
 
zogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Behind You!
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith

So the wording in basic is unclear
Agreed, however I would take a clarification from the author of the 4e version of Martial Arts pretty seriously as being correct.
__________________
Patrick Ley
"If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."
--Mal in "Our Own Mrs. Reynolds" Firefly
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
blacksmith
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
Agreed, however I would take a clarification from the author of the 4e version of Martial Arts pretty seriously as being correct.
So would I. It is something that should be clarified in that book(hell it should have been clearer to begin with, changeing the sentance about knife being for attack to everything knife normaly includes is in this skill as well would not have changed word count and been clear)
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics
 
roguebfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne FL, Formerly Wellington NZ
Default Re: Clarifications on the Main-Gauche Skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith
It is not listed with normal melee skills for one
Actually it is, under the subsection fencing weapons B208, it actual the first fencing weapon described.
__________________
Rogue the Bronze Firelizard
Gerald Grenier, Jr. Hail Eris!
Rogue's Weyr
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.