Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 AM   #21
Rupert

Default Re: Youth is a weird prerequisite for Steal Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
So...I assume blue mages would hire some undergrads from the local university, but what about black and red? I guess black mages could do the Thriller thing, but red mages seem SOL.
Red mages are quite possibly goblins, so they get a crowd of helpers because the Goblin King said so. Or they're dragons and either don't need help (they have some form of big energy pool), or the local goblins worship them as gods and thus help (or they get eaten/sacrificed, and help anyway).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #22
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Being benevolent is a lot of work. Particularly for the kind of person who uses Steal Youth.

But seriously I'd be fine if Steal Youth was a straight run from Steal Vitality.
I thought the point of using a ritual and participants was to use Youth instead of Steal Youth.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #23
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Red mages are quite possibly goblins.
No, no. Goblins cast yellow magic! It says so in pyramid 3-28 (p.11).
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #24
Black Leviathan

I agree that it sort of feels like learning how to run before learning how to hobble but think of it from this perspective. Before you can learn to make a microtransmitter that is less reliable and uses less power to transmit you first must know how to build a normal radio in order to get an understanding of the fundamentals. The Youth spell teaches the caster how the magic interacts with age. Steal Youth is an adaptation that allows the caster to do the magic cheaper and dirtier.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #25
Anaraxes

Exactly. Logically, you can't steal someone's energy to make someone younger without knowing how to make someone younger in the first place.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #26
PTTG

But if "youth" is a resource or form of energy (given the magical limitations some settings have on bypassing death due to old age, that's reasonable), then creating it out of nowhere would logically be harder than simply transferring it.

If there's an "age" spell that just makes the victim older, that would handle the concept pretty well. So you start by just burning up the resource, then you learn to transfer it, and then you learn to conjure or concentrate it without harming anyone.
PTTG is online now   Reply With Quote