Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #31
Kax

Default Re: How do you do a beam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
This thread is making me wonder why Cone 1 (which is basically a line) is incompatible with RoF. I get it from a power balance perspective. But is there another reason?

Because Jet is a continuous stream, incompatibe with RoF. Which is what I forgot.

To model RoF with Jet make a stronger Jet. :)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #32
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
Because Jet is a continuous stream, incompatibe with RoF. Which is what I forgot.
Jet is incompatible with RoF because it's classed as a melee attack. However, I think cone is incompatible only for balance reasons (high ROF is inexpensive because most of the attacks miss. However, they still go somewhere, and for AoEs of any type you can't ignore that.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:57 AM   #33
Ottriman

How do I do a beam like what you describe?

Really easily, I just give the weapon the ability to turn a single target attack into a cone with reduced damage.

Usually a cone with a width of 1/5th or 1/3rd the distance traveled and damage divided by 3. Attacking this way is called a "sweep".

There is no official modifier for this in the powers system though. Having this as an option could probably be modeled with alternate abilities if you do not care to make a modifier of your own or discard the normal limits of the power and points system.
Ottriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 AM   #34
Anthony

Well, a cone with dissipation automatically divides its damage by its width.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #35
oneofmanynameless

So, after reading all of this, how do people feel about the following build:

Jet +0%, Cosmic (Can perform RoF special attack maneuvers such as spraying fire and covering fire, dividing damage instead of shots) +50%

And then if the continuous stream happens to be massive add an appropriate level of Cone (but obviously, for balance reasons, need GM permission to do that and the GM may want to ascribe an extra +50% - +100% cosmic in order to do that for CP balance.)

As for how to divide damage, I'd leave it up to the GM but there are 3 models I can think of off the top of my head:
1. Roll damage and then divide.
2. Reverse Adds to dice, distribute, re-adds to dice. (probably how I'd do it)
3. Divide dice out, doing partial dice via adds-to dice at GMs behest. (probably the most recommendable method)
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #36
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
3e's method of resolving laser fire where you added all the hits together before rolling damage, which would be an enhancement that you'd have to design yourself, because as far as I know it doesn't exist in 4e.
Closest thing I can think of is Powers "coordinated attack" where if everyone takes a penalty to get their timing in sync, they can add damage together for the purpose of calculating blunt force trauma or knockback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
So, after reading all of this, how do people feel about the following build:

Jet +0%, Cosmic (Can perform RoF special attack maneuvers such as spraying fire and covering fire, dividing damage instead of shots) +50%

And then if the continuous stream happens to be massive add an appropriate level of Cone (but obviously, for balance reasons, need GM permission to do that and the GM may want to ascribe an extra +50% - +100% cosmic in order to do that for CP balance.)
Similar 2012 discussion http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...99#post1437099 got no official answer :(

Last edited by Plane; 02-20-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote